Spica cast help

coleslawcat

I have a friend whose 22 month old broke his femur and is in a spica cast. It has the bar connecting the two legs and is 1 1/2 legs. They couldn't get him in his car seat for the drive home from the hospital and ended up just holding him. Do you have any recommendations? The hospital did not offer any solutions.

ADS

katymyers

When Levi broke his femur last year our hospital was also totally unhelpful. I used the safe kids website to find a special needs tech in my state. I called around and found one that had a Britax Hippo that was willing to loan it to me and she actually drove hours from her home town to bring it to me at my house and fit Levi in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coleslawcat

She has a radian, maybe she will be able to make it work. They were traveling when it happened so they are not home, but in a different state.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The Radian will work well shape-wise, but keep in mind that no seat will fit him sitting flush with the shell and that's OK. Pad the gaps and the edge of the cast at his back so he's supported enough not to get pressure sores or rub burns.

The failing of the Radian for casted kids is that the harness may not be long enough. It takes up a ton of extra harness across the thighs to get around the cast. If the child+cast weighs little enough to use the safe stop, you have a much better chance of it working.

If they need to buy a seat, I have the most success with the Triumph and casts. The Foonf has the longest harness of any seat according to a thread where I requested people measure, followed by the Complete Air and the Nextfit.

coleslawcat

She was able to get him buckled into the Radian for the drive home. I'm not sure how well padded they have him but I'll mention it to her. Hopefully this will work well enough to get him through his time in the cast.

lgenne

Diono also sells a longer harness, if that helps at all. (Or they at least did. I can't find it on the website right now, but that probably means that it's out of stock.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC