Question 1996 Plymouth Voyager & Britax B Safe infant carseat

U

Unregistered

Hi there, I hope someone can help me because I know very little about cars and looking online I'm getting a bit confused.

I was given a 1996 Plymouth Voyager and we are expecting our first baby in the next few weeks. My husband went to install the carseats, and there are no latches so they have to be secured with seat belts. My husband feels fairly confident it's not going to move around, but the belts themselves won't lock. I tried googling how to lock them (since I can't find it in the manual) but I'm coming across some information I don't understand (Some recalls? Faulty belts? Gen 3 belts? What?). All of the info is really outdated and understandably I can't find anything within the last few years. We've purchased the Britax B Safe infant carseat and I'm just looking to ensure that the baby will be safe in the car.

Thanks for any help you can provide.. I'm really out of my element with both cars and babies!

ADS

katymyers

Your B-Safe has a built in lock off on the base, you don't even have to worry about how your seat belts lock. Here's a picture of mine installed in my Odyssey.
9dd58123581c9792f21799090596b8ca.jpg
the lock off is closed and securing the seatbelt
7557d4c7cfe0567f6b0005d30ef1fec3.jpg
the belt is threaded through the seat with the lock off open to show how

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Gen 3 belts refers to a style of seat belt release button that stuck up higher than the buckle. It could accidentally gets bumped and unlock the seat belt. While scary, there are very few cases of this happening during a crash. I had the exact same vehicle as you and the only times the button was hit was while loading people or things in and out of the car. Just check that your car seat is secure each and every time (good practice in general) and you should be fine.

U

Unregistered

You guys are the best. Thank you so much for putting me at ease!

I did see the lock on the carseat (which is why my husband thought it was likely safe) but I wasn't sure if you also needed the seat belts to lock.

Thank you for explaining the belt issue to me. Just thanks a bunch in general!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC