Monterey vs. Performance booster

Lenae

Probably a long shot, but does anyone have a comparison of the new Monterey and Performance booster? I love the Performance booster, but the cute covers on the new Monterey are seriously tempting me. I'm looking for just a general comparison and thoughts on the two, and bonus points if you have pictures. Is the Monterey in stores anywhere to check out? I have small but LOOOONG legged kids. I know for sure the seat depth on the Performance booster is awesome, I'm hoping the Monterey has comparable seat depth.

ADS

Dillipop

I believe the new Monterey is the same as the old one. If that's the case, my 12 year old is still comfortable with adequate leg support while using it as a backless booster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lenae

Any observations in regards to belt fit? Specifically on slender kids. Sassy is 5yrs 5months and on the small side. Belt fit in the Performance booster is awesome, but I read somewhere that the Monterey isn't always a great fit for smaller kids. Colton's Parkway doesn't fit Sassy well, and I'm concerned about that with the Monterey. But I really love that pink and black flower cover.

Dillipop

We bought ours when my ds was about 6.5 and it fit him fine. He is super slender- always have to get slims with adjustable waist bands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mags462

My soon to be 6 yr old is very tall and very thin.... And the belt fit in his big brothers Monterey is awful (it's not the latest version but rather the one bf that).... However I think it's really less about weight and height and more abt shoulders.... Ds1 who uses it as his full time seat and has since he was 6 was equally as tall and thin but he has his dad shoulders and broader chest. Ds3 is super petite through the shoulders like my side if the family and the shoulder belt just doesn't fit him in that booster. I actually bought a sstb and love the thing!

Just good for thought - I hope you can get your pink! :0)

Lenae

Sassy most certainly is not broad shouldered. I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to be satisfied until I've tried her in it. I'll order from Amazon and if I don't like it, easy returns. I really love that cover though, lol.

jess71903

Ambassador
I'd love pics when you do. Evie is still harnessed, but is booster training. I love the belt fit on her in Gage's performance booster, but it is just so wide. I still have to help Gage buckle a lot. I've been eyeing the Confetti PWSG but I'm not sure.

Lenae

Yes, I'll do pictures. I'll throw in some of the Parkway, too. Sassy is still harnessed as well, but she's ridden in Colton's booster a couple of times and does fine, so I'd like to start more regular booster training. I love every thing about the Performance booster, except how wide it is. Colton has a fairly difficult time buckling himself in my car, and can't buckle himself at all in our backup car.

bnsnyde

We have 2 Performance Boosters and just sold one. I like them!

I find them awesome. But I hate our car. It's a 2005 Civic and these Recaro seats are super wide. It's not the easiest to buckle and tighten the belt. But I didn't see any SIP that seemed to compare. They are nice and deep.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I actually have 1 of each, new Monterey and new Performance booster (2 of those). We got them last month after a wreck.

I have DD, 52", 50lbs
DS, 44", 37lbs

What pics do you want? The Monterey is technically DD's since it was replacing her old Monterey and she doesn't like change. It's pouring here but I can get them tomorrow.

Lenae

I actually have 1 of each, new Monterey and new Performance booster (2 of those). We got them last month after a wreck.

I have DD, 52", 50lbs
DS, 44", 37lbs

What pics do you want? The Monterey is technically DD's since it was replacing her old Monterey and she doesn't like change. It's pouring here but I can get them tomorrow.

Oh, you're awesome! Just a general pic of belt fit on your DS in each seat would be great. Sassy is a couple of inches shorter, but not much, so I'd love to see how a similar sized child looks in each seat. Do you feel the the belt fit is comparably good in both seats?

Lenae

I ordered the Monterey. This week has been super busy for us, so I haven't had a chance to put Sassy in the different seats to take pictures. I will say though, that I feel like the Monterey has a good belt fit, but maybe not as fool proof as the Performance booster. I only have one picture so far, the kids both sleeping on our way home from the lake yesterday.

nikamom

Do you think the Monterey is easier for the kids to buckle than the Recaro? Or are they the same? And Sassy fits well in either?

Tarynsmum, does your DS fit well in both of your seats? My DS is 5, and is 42" and 40 lbs. Getting him a booster for kinder, but not sure which seat he'll fit best into. He's still a little thing.

Still keeping him full time harnessed until he's bigger, but a booster will be helpful for kinder carpooling.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Sorry I haven't had a chance to take a pic yet; it's been raining for at LEAST 40 days and 40 nights over here. It's almost ark time :/

Lenae

Do you think the Monterey is easier for the kids to buckle than the Recaro? Or are they the same? And Sassy fits well in either?

Tarynsmum, does your DS fit well in both of your seats? My DS is 5, and is 42" and 40 lbs. Getting him a booster for kinder, but not sure which seat he'll fit best into. He's still a little thing.

Still keeping him full time harnessed until he's bigger, but a booster will be helpful for kinder carpooling.

In my car, yes the Monterey is easier to buckle. The Recaro is definitely wider at the buckle. The belt fit is good in the Monterey, but it's amazing in the Performance booster. I'm still keeping the Monterey because there isn't anything wrong with the belt fit, but I do feel like the Performance booster is basically fool proof. Hopefully, I'll be able to take some comparison pictures today. It's not raining here, but it's been way hotter than normal for this region, which has me holed up inside with the AC in between running kids around, lol.

Kel

I'd love to see the pics to!

I'm going to be switching my 5.2 yr old soon. He slim also.

Do both of these seats need a headrest?

Lenae

I know for absolutely certain the Monterey does, but I have gotten conflicting reports from Recaro when I personally called a number of different times. I know other people have gotten conflicting answers as well. I err on the side of caution usually.

Lenae

Okie dokie, tossed the lady in the car amid a fit of the giggles, so please forgive the crazy faces.

Monterey

Hip bone

Performance Booster

Hip bone

The buckle rests nicely at the edge of the Monterey, but barely peeks out from behind the Performance Booster, and the Performance Booster is on the 40% side of the 60/40 split in the backseat. Please excuse the crumbs and general dirtiness, this is my husbands commuter car that I'm driving because my car is currently broke down.

Kel

Love the pics! She's a cutie.

I'm thinking I'll go with the recaro, mainly because of the cup holders.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC