Help me figure this out

lgenne

First significant road trip with 3 kids is 1 week from tomorrow.

Current generation Odyssey. Right now the car seats are:

1) FR90 3rd row passenger side for large 5yo. This is the only harnessed seat we own that still fits him (except for the TWE, which is mostly unused right now, and he wouldn't be able to see the TV with it in the 3rd row.) DS1 will be in this car seat for the trip.
2) Radian RF passenger 2nd row for average 3yo. He watches the TV over his shoulder on trips no problem.
3) Scenera NEXT in the +1 for the giant 7mo.

But Dorel doesn't approve the harness pads on the Scenera NEXT anymore. I won't do long trips without harness pads, since every previous attempt has resulted in screaming and neck welts.

I own no other car seat that works RF in that spot since I sold the outgrown KF. I've been waffling on the Fllo, because I've never even seen one. It's not sold anywhere near me, but it is sold roughly 2 miles from my destination. And I'll have grandmas around for child care, so I'm totally going to check out some other convertibles that haven't been mentioned in the +1 install thread at Buy Buy Baby and try them in the +1. (Planning to check the Pria and maybe a MyRide. Any other suggestions welcome.)

I have no car seats in my basement, so anything I use will have to come out of the other car. My options for the baby are:

1) The CCO he currently rides in. Pluses: might as well get as much use out of it as possible before he outgrows it in 5 minutes; he's used to it; super narrow which might be necessary depending on exactly which seats end up where. Minuses: that thing is such a pain to install. I'd have to get it back into the other car pretty immediately when we get back.
2) DS2's Radian. Would have to adjust the harness and reinstall on a short time frame on both ends of the trip, but otherwise a good option.
3) TWE. Easily the least narrow of my options, but I have no qualms about using it in the 3rd row. And it doesn't need to go back in the other car on any particular time frame.

I'm planning to sit in the back with the kids, so I need to plan 4 seating positions. Traveling with only 1 captain's chair is an option (although I don't think it buys me anything); we have to take the +1 so I can try stuff at BBB.

Options I've considered:

1) Put the older 2 in the 2nd row and I get in the back with the baby. Everyone has plenty of space, but 3rd row access is difficult, since neither of their car seats work in the +1 unless I turn DS2 FF, which I don't want to do.
2) Put the younger 2 in the 2nd row, both RF outboard. I sit between them. I hate sitting in that seat for long distances, and it'll be rough for me to get in and out. Definitely rules out using the TWE.
3) Leave the older 2 where they are. Puzzle a Radian or CCO (or the TWE if it'll work, which I doubt) next to the FR90 in the 3rd row. I sit 3rd row next to the baby. DS2 is alone in the 2nd row, which he won't be happy about and DS1 is right next to the baby, whose face he likes to ritually molest.

Any other ideas? I'm currently leaning toward option 1 with the TWE for the baby.

ADS

MotoMommaNH

Can you leave the two where they are and put baby's CCO in the 3rd row and sit in a captains chair?

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

lgenne

Phase 1 of car seat shuffling is done. TWE 3rd row passenger (won't be used until the trip), FR90 3rd row driver, RN 2nd row passenger, SN +1, driver side captain's chair in the basement.

Night before/morning of, the SN will be uninstalled, captain's chair installed, +1 folded down, FR90 moved to captain's chair.

Phew.

CMeMeC

I want to sit next to the baby for pacifier replacement purposes and things like that.

Have you tried this? My kids do so much better in the car if they can't see an adult. If I sit next to them, they are needy and get frustrated that I'm not getting them out. If they can't see me, they're fine.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC