3 across in a Dodge Journey

U

Unregistered

I drive a Dodge Journey and I'm trying to 2 seats side by side (middle and outboard) so that I can access the 3rd row now and eventually fit 3 across if needed. Is this even possible? I have a 34 lb toddler that can fit in either a convertible or a 5-point booster and a 7 month old that I'm transitioning from an infant seat to a rear-facing convertible. I purchased the Evenflo Evolve 3-in-1 since it is a pretty slim booster (without being $350+), but I am still having a hard time finding one to fit with it. It's only a couple days old, so if someone has a better suggestion I can always return it. I'm all ears!

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi. You didn't mention your toddler's age, so I'll assume over age 2 since you've bought a forward-facing seat. Rear-facing to at least age 2 is the minimum, but as long as possible is what's safest.

I'm not sure of the dimensions of the Evolve since it's a new seat, so it's probably going to be trial and error with that one. A narrow Evenflo seat that has top harness slots as high as most combo seats (19") is the SureRide. Since it's a convertible, it rear-faces and forward-faces and will last most kids until at least kindergarten at which time they can transition into a belt-positioning booster. So you could potentially get 2 of those for your kids.

You could also get a Diono Radian for the baby, which is one of the narrowest seats on the market.

Another option for your older child is the Harmony Defender, but I almost hesitate to suggest it since it's almost always out of stock. The best bet for finding that seat is directly from the manufacturer.

U

Unregistered

My toddler is almost 3 :) Thanks, i will try the SureRide. I have been trying to find the Radian used, but since it lasts for so long, it's hard to find!

lgenne

Used car seats are generally not recommended. They're often in poor shape, with missing parts, and an unknown history. Have they ever been in a crash? Has the harness been immersed/bleached/ironed/abused in some other way? If it's from a trusted source (who can answer all the questions about its history) and not expired, it's likely fine.

The Cosco Scenera NEXT is a nice, narrow convertible that would be a great choice for the baby. It's only $44. It's a Walmart exclusive.

MelodyoftheForest

If you would like to start a new thread with the ages and sizes of your kids and your specific question, we would be more able to give you specific recommendations. There are newer seats that might work for you that weren't around when we talked about this before.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC