Severe Hydocephalus

U

Unregistered

I am an OT working with a 3 month old with severe hydocephalus. Here Head measures 75cm, wt is 18lbs and height is 21.5" I am looking for a car seat or car bed that would be appropriate for her at this time. Any suggestions would be helpful as the mother right now is using a car bed improperly causing safety issues with the childs transportation.

ADS

thepote

Hi and welcome,

Bumping this up for you.

We do have SN trained techs here, so hopefully one will be along shortly. Is the child using the car bed because of head size or another positioning reason? At 75cm which is a little larger than a size 5 soccer ball, mom would be looking at a convertible car seat that could accommodate that head size as well as the newborn body size. Does the baby's head bend forward too much in a more upright position? There are convertible car seats that would fit the child, but there may be other positional concerns at play here.

jacqui276

Does she have other issues making the car bed a necessity? I am not a tech, let alone a special needs tech, but my thoughts are that with a large head on a little body that using a convertible car seat for rear facing where it is angled as reclined as possible (typically 45 degrees) would be the safest option. Some of them are quite roomy so should accommodate her growing head size.

Thank you for helping this little girl! Hopefully some of the techs can chime in too though!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
How does baby do in a semi-inclined position? I agree that a wide convertible seat with added support at the sides might work, but it will depend on baby's ability to breathe at a 45 degree recline.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC