Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

3 in carseats....in the market for 2 new vehicles

My husband and I are both in the market for new vehicles, as we recently found out we're having twins. Our son will just be 2 at the time that the twins are born. Therefore, we'll need 2 vehicles that can each handle 1 forward and 2 infant seats, and eventually 3 forward facing seats.
    My husband wants a larger suv (e.g., Tahoe, Expedition), while I can go with minivan or SUV.
    Also, we live in a pretty mountainous area, so 4wd or awd is preferred. We are willing to buy new carseats if need be, in order to make it work. Also, because our son will be so young, at first, I'd love to be able to have all 3 kids in the 2nd row, if possible.
    My question is....what vehicles would work for our particular situation?
    Please help...we're feeling quite overwhelmed.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Welcome to car-seat.org.

Re: 3 in carseats....in the market for 2 new vehicles

Any thoughts? Im already 23 weeks pregnant, and very eager to move on the car shopping.
    Thanks in advance,

CPS Fanatic

I'm not an expert on SUVs, but I've done my minivan research.

You're actually asking for two almost certainly mutually exclusive things in a minivan: AWD and 3 across in the 2nd row. The only minivan with optional AWD is the Toyota Sienna. But the center seat in the 2nd row of the Sienna is a tiny little semi-functional thing that's incompatible with nearly all car seats. For being marketed as a family hauler, the Sienna is remarkably unfriendly to car seats, and not just that center seat.

The other 8 seat options (7 seater minivans only have 2 seating positions in the 2nd row) are the Honda Odyssey and the Kia Sedona. The Odyssey is VERY well loved around here. The Sedona was completely redesigned in 2015 so there isn't a lot of real world experience with it, but people who've tried it have really good things to say about it.

Thank you. Given this, and based on my research, I'm thinking I either get the Odyssey and put really good snow tires on it. Or, I go with an SUV like Honda Pilot.