Question 3 in carseats....in the market for 2 new vehicles

Chrisave11

My husband and I are both in the market for new vehicles, as we recently found out we're having twins. Our son will just be 2 at the time that the twins are born. Therefore, we'll need 2 vehicles that can each handle 1 forward and 2 infant seats, and eventually 3 forward facing seats.
My husband wants a larger suv (e.g., Tahoe, Expedition), while I can go with minivan or SUV.
Also, we live in a pretty mountainous area, so 4wd or awd is preferred. We are willing to buy new carseats if need be, in order to make it work. Also, because our son will be so young, at first, I'd love to be able to have all 3 kids in the 2nd row, if possible.
My question is....what vehicles would work for our particular situation?
Please help...we're feeling quite overwhelmed.
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

lgenne

I'm not an expert on SUVs, but I've done my minivan research.

You're actually asking for two almost certainly mutually exclusive things in a minivan: AWD and 3 across in the 2nd row. The only minivan with optional AWD is the Toyota Sienna. But the center seat in the 2nd row of the Sienna is a tiny little semi-functional thing that's incompatible with nearly all car seats. For being marketed as a family hauler, the Sienna is remarkably unfriendly to car seats, and not just that center seat.

The other 8 seat options (7 seater minivans only have 2 seating positions in the 2nd row) are the Honda Odyssey and the Kia Sedona. The Odyssey is VERY well loved around here. The Sedona was completely redesigned in 2015 so there isn't a lot of real world experience with it, but people who've tried it have really good things to say about it.

Chrisave11

Thank you. Given this, and based on my research, I'm thinking I either get the Odyssey and put really good snow tires on it. Or, I go with an SUV like Honda Pilot.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC