wwyd - booster for 2nd car

rachelandtyke

DS's TFs expire next month. He just turned 6. He is 38.5lbs and 44in. I plan to booster him in the Vivo in my car. I need to get him something for DH's car. He is not in it very often and not for long drives or trips. I automatically default to thinking he should be in a highback because that is what I have done with DD1, but it means buying another booster (DD1's highback in that car is a TB, she will use it backless until it expires next year, so not passing it down like the Vivo). It's a 2002 Subaru Legacy wagon, so no fancy airbags or anything.

Would you go highback or backless?

ADS

melniemi

I'd do a hbb. My son is the same age and slightly bigger, 1/2", 2#. He's still in his fr90 and is currently using a Probooster or Vivo in hubby's truck. He prefers the Probooster but both fit him well. The performance booster is too deep for his legs so I can't get him one yet. My daughter has one and I love it. So I don't know what to get either. He's begging for a booster in the van and has sat perfectly when he's been in a booster. I've harnessed the rest of my kids to 7+ so it seems wrong to booster him at 6, considering he's smaller at 6 than most of my others were. Lol
I'm considering Britax, Cybex, and the Rodifix....I need it to fit on the Ody +1 seat and allow rear access.

CMeMeC

DS's TFs expire next month. He just turned 6. He is 38.5lbs and 44in. I plan to booster him in the Vivo in my car. I need to get him something for DH's car. He is not in it very often and not for long drives or trips. I automatically default to thinking he should be in a highback because that is what I have done with DD1, but it means buying another booster (DD1's highback in that car is a TB, she will use it backless until it expires next year, so not passing it down like the Vivo). It's a 2002 Subaru Legacy wagon, so no fancy airbags or anything.

Would you go highback or backless?

I would do a high back. Maybe pick up another turbo booster or a $13 no back from Walmart for the older child and pass down the hbb?

rachelandtyke

OK, thanks! hbb was my inclination, too.

The HBTB is the posey pattern, so I don't know that DS would want to use it. But I might as well buy a new hbb anyway as the Vivo expires next year (as does the HBTB), and I will still want him in a hbb in the van next year.

Now to decide what to get . . . I really think I want something with LATCH this time, so need to see what those options are.

CMeMeC

OK, thanks! hbb was my inclination, too.

The HBTB is the posey pattern, so I don't know that DS would want to use it. But I might as well buy a new hbb anyway as the Vivo expires next year (as does the HBTB), and I will still want him in a hbb in the van next year.

Now to decide what to get . . . I really think I want something with LATCH this time, so need to see what those options are.

Turbo affix, or whatever its called? I love my vivo, I need to see when it expires!

Dillipop

If you like the turbo you already have, the affix is comparable to it fit wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bnsnyde

I would get a highback (with latch!) every single time, as long as it fit the child and vehicle. No matter how old the child is.

In our spots without a highback with latch, we tried and it didn't work. So we did have to do some backless to squeeze in 3 in a row, or to allow seat to fold down for 3rd row access, etc.

bnsnyde

I love my Vivo. I wish they still made it. Ours expires next year.
No other boosters compares, in my mind. It's deep and sturdy, light. Narrow. Wish it latched but we use it for carpools a lot.

bubbaray

For a second car that isn't used often, I would either buy a new LBB for your DS OR pass down your DD's HBB and get her a new LBB. He can just deal with the girly pattern (at least, he would be in my house!).

If $ isn't an issue, get another HBTB.

aeormsby

With both HBB's expiring next year I'd probably get another HBB and when the vivo expires move the new booster to the main vehicle and switch to a NBB in the 2nd vehicle.

At age 6 my DS was in HBB's in 2 of our vehicles and a NBB in the 3rd. I'd just switch it out if it was going to be a longer drive (anything over an hour he'd likely fall asleep).

We have a Vivo also and I love it, I also love the newer Recaro Performance booster (the only downside is it's very wide, luckily that's not a problem for us). I need to write down when all of our boosters expire, some of them might be in the next year or two (Vivo, Parkway, Frontier).

CMeMeC

With both HBB's expiring next year I'd probably get another HBB and when the vivo expires move the new booster to the main vehicle and switch to a NBB in the 2nd vehicle.

At age 6 my DS was in HBB's in 2 of our vehicles and a NBB in the 3rd. I'd just switch it out if it was going to be a longer drive (anything over an hour he'd likely fall asleep).

We have a Vivo also and I love it, I also love the newer Recaro Performance booster (the only downside is it's very wide, luckily that's not a problem for us). I need to write down when all of our boosters expire, some of them might be in the next year or two (Vivo, Parkway, Frontier).

How long before the vivo expires? Mine has a manufacture date of 12/12.

aeormsby

How long before the vivo expires? Mine has a manufacture date of 12/12.

They are 6 years I believe. I know we got ours when DD was turning 6 but it was 6-12 months old when we got it, so I think ours is probably a 2011. I guess that's probably 2 more years+/-.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC