2016 Honda Pilot

msg221

They will be out at the dealerships tomorrow!!!! This is going to be one of our top picks since we are going to need a vehicle to replace our totaled Accord sooner than we thought. After DH's accident in April we weren't expecting he'd be able to start walking until mid July. Well, his orthopedic surgeon gave him the go ahead to put full weight on his leg and start PT 3x a week! He anticipates that he can be back to work in about 4-5 weeks so we need to start researching vehicles now! We like everything we have read about it so far and can't wait to see and drive one. We might just head over to the dealership before another doctor appointment tomorrow!

ADS

Chrisave11

Let us know how it goes? Also, are there 3 latch and 3 tether straps in the middle row, like previous versions?
Im also in the market.

akmflinn

Let us know how it goes? Also, are there 3 latch and 3 tether straps in the middle row, like previous versions?
Im also in the market.

I haven't seen it in person, but according to the specs on the Honda website there are 3 lower anchors and 3 tethers across the second row. The third row has lower anchors on the passenger side only, but tethers in all three positions.

The headrests look tiny in the middle seating positions in both 2nd and 3rd rows. Also, the middle seat in the 3rd row looks miniature also. I can get 3 kids across the 3rd row in my 2004 (not 3 car seats, I've done 2 boosters and 1 with seat belt only), so hopefully it's still possible in the new one. It may have just been the picture.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
The fast lane car on YouTube has a great comparison review to a bunch of other SUVs it's size. Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

This is perfect- exactly what I need. We'll in the market in the next 12-18months I think. My van's been wrecked 3 times since we had it (twice in the past 4 months :/ ). I feel like it's cursed.

msj

I am not a regular poster, but have used these forums a ton doing research, so wanted to do my part here. We bought the '16 Pilot two days ago. We could probably have saved a bit of $$ by waiting for the hype to wear off, but we needed the car asap for a long road trip next week. This was the *only* car that checked every box for us, other than price tag (we hoped to stay closer to 30k). I tried to buy a minivan, but I couldn't get comfortable in any of the drivers' seats--the Sienna was okay, but my leg actually fell asleep in the Odyssey. I loved the '15 Kia Sedona, but again...drivers' seat issue (though still not as bad as the Odyssey).

Anyway, if anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them. My only semi-regret so far is that we ended up with a black one and there are some other colors that are pretty cool that I'd prefer, but I can deal with that. The three rear tether anchors (actually, just the two even) is where it's at for me. Ours is a EXL AWD. If you're in the market, be aware that the prices are inflated right now, so don't buy from anyone who isn't willing to negotiate a bit.

akmflinn

I am not a regular poster, but have used these forums a ton doing research, so wanted to do my part here. We bought the '16 Pilot two days ago. We could probably have saved a bit of $$ by waiting for the hype to wear off, but we needed the car asap for a long road trip next week. This was the *only* car that checked every box for us, other than price tag (we hoped to stay closer to 30k). I tried to buy a minivan, but I couldn't get comfortable in any of the drivers' seats--the Sienna was okay, but my leg actually fell asleep in the Odyssey. I loved the '15 Kia Sedona, but again...drivers' seat issue (though still not as bad as the Odyssey).

Anyway, if anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them. My only semi-regret so far is that we ended up with a black one and there are some other colors that are pretty cool that I'd prefer, but I can deal with that. The three rear tether anchors (actually, just the two even) is where it's at for me. Ours is a EXL AWD. If you're in the market, be aware that the prices are inflated right now, so don't buy from anyone who isn't willing to negotiate a bit.

Awesome! How many kids are you hauling around it in? How do you have them configured and how's it working out (so far)? What's the leg room like in the 3rd row?

I have 3 boys--9, 7, and 5 months and right now drive a 2004 Pilot. My 9-year-old is huge (5'3"), and 3 across isn't going to cut it much longer. I'm looking for something with a 3rd row that's actually useable for anyone larger than a small child :). We also will have car seats/boosters in our future for the next 7-8 years, so all the tether spots are appealing to me. Lots of other 3row SUVs hardly have any tethers--so annoying!

msg221

Well, my lust for the Pilot will have to wait. DH would rather wait when the lease is up on my CR-V, which is just under two years. This way the price will be better and if there are any bugs in this redesign, we'll know. He also did not want to be saddled with a large car payment now. And the fact that our crashed Accord was "his" drive-to-work vehicle, I suppose I should let him choose! He mentioned really liking the looks of the 2015 Hyundai Sonata, so we went to look at and drive one yesterday. We actually found one at a really good price. It's the Sonata Sport 2.4L and our out-the-door price (tax, license and registration included), would be $27,814.13. A pretty good price considering it comes equipped with both the Tech Package and Premium Package. I liked the way it drove, love the looks of the interior, love how roomy it is, and was happy to read good reviews for ease of installing car seats in it! I haven't tried any yet, but I plan to when we return tomorrow! We are still doing some final research before we make a final decision, but we really don't think we can find anything equipped as nicely for that price.

aporthole

My hubby has a 2015 Subaru Legacy that we got back in October. It is awesome and right at the same price. 36 mpgs highway, AWD, very roomy front to back for rear facing seats, very nice technology features. The Subaru dealerships around here sell for under invoice price without even having to negotiate.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The '15 Sonata is very nice. I had an extended Chicago to Detroit drive in a couple different models. Hard to go wrong with Sonata or Legacy. Pick whichever one has the better deal;-)

SavsMom

I'd take a serious look at the Subaru Legacy. It's all around a great vehicle and will retain a lot more value resale wise.

msg221

DH and I are intrigued by the Legacy and are off to test drive one today. I did notice that there isn't much stock at any of the dealerships around here, and none in the trim and way we want equipped but at least we can get a feel for it. And they have an offer where they give you a Starbucks tumbler pre-loaded with a $20 credit, so there is that too!

Last edited:

SavsMom

DH and I are intrigued by the Legacy and are off to test drive one today. I did notice that there isn't much stock at any of the dealerships around here, and none in the trim and way we want equipped but at least we can get a feel for it. And they have an offer where they give you a Starbucks tumbler pre-loaded with a $20 credit, so there is that too!

Subaru inventory is pretty low nationwide on several models. In my area if you want a new Outback Limited, you are looking at a 6-8 week wait.

msg221

We ended up getting a 2015 Hyundai Sport. I swear, if it hadn't been for the 4th of July sales/rebates, no way I would have dealt with the regular salesman! It wasn't him personally, just the whole car buying process and the frustration because we could not get the color combination we wanted. I insisted on a black interior because beige just shows dirt too much. My CR-V has beige cloth and I am regretting it (but again, none of the exterior colors I liked came with the black interior!). It's not even the kids getting it dirty, even just me getting in and out of it is getting it dirty. Anyway, they were so desperate to sell us a car that they wanted us to choose a gray Sonata they had a gray interior. Had it been a dark gray, I would have but it was a very light gray. Well, the sales manager said they could get an outside vendor to recover the seats in black leather if we bought that one! Are you kidding me??? I said no. Finally, we settled on the Sport trim instead of the Limited because we were down to the only exterior color we liked that would come with a black interior! Can't get white in the Limited trim with a black interior so we had to go with the Sport! And even then, they had to bring it over from another dealership!

In the end we did get a great deal, even less than the prices shown on True Car, KBB, etc. There was also stuff added by the other dealership like tinted windows, door edge guards, pin striping, and nitrogen filled tires that we weren't charged for (they claim $1,999.96 in add ons, but I wonder what the true cost is). There was also $3,000 in rebates.

I love all of the features this car has, especially the blind spot detection. I am driving this car until DH goes back to work to limit the mileage we put on the leased CR-V we have since I drove it so much since his accident. It's going to be hard to give it up! The 8 inch screen with navigation, Sirius radio, the keyless start, etc! I will be spoiled!

Last edited:

jwilliams

Glad you found something you like! I get the whole interior thing... I was so happy to get an Accord Sport instead of the LX or EX because it was the only way to get a non-velvety, black interior. I don't like plushy car interiors, but I don't love leather either, and it seems that manufacturers don't feel the same way. I like being able to just wipe it down and not needing to condition it. Or kill a cow for it.

I saw a 2016 Pilot the other day, and it somehow looked so small. Like, there's a third row meant for humans and trunk space in there how exactly??

msg221

Glad you found something you like! I get the whole interior thing... I was so happy to get an Accord Sport instead of the LX or EX because it was the only way to get a non-velvety, black interior. I don't like plushy car interiors, but I don't love leather either, and it seems that manufacturers don't feel the same way. I like being able to just wipe it down and not needing to condition it. Or kill a cow for it.

I saw a 2016 Pilot the other day, and it somehow looked so small. Like, there's a third row meant for humans and trunk space in there how exactly??

What is the material in the Accord Sport?

After all we went through on Saturday, I am making sure I know exactly what color exteriors there are and their corresponding interiors BEFORE I go to the dealership!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC