Britax response

lourdes

So you mean to tell me that we got a seat rated from 4 pounds but it actually doesn't fit a 4 pound baby? That we need to try the baby in the seat before we buy it? How I am going to try the baby in the seat if I need the seat to get the baby out of the hospital????????? So, I have a friend who just had a baby, baby is 5.6 pounds, the buckle goes all the way to his chest, it meets the chest clip and it will no tight any further and when I called Britax that's the response I got...
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
There are a lot of seats on the market that won't fit a baby at the bottom rating. Granted I wouldn't usually put Britax on the list, but not every seat is an equally good fit for every child at a given weight because of differences in build. What seat are you having difficulty with?

lourdes

There are a lot of seats on the market that won't fit a baby at the bottom rating. Granted I wouldn't usually put Britax on the list, but not every seat is an equally good fit for every child at a given weight because of differences in build. What seat are you having difficulty with?
Britax B Safe

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Minimum weight ratings are nearly useless across the industry in regards to actually fitting a preemie. At least one company markets a model as "from birth" with no minimum weight, but it's barely suitable for full term newborns.

In my experience, the B-Safe models fit our 4-pound preemie doll at least adequately. Perhaps not as good as some others, but about on the same order as a model like the Chicco Keyfit. The problem with the doll is that it has no shoulders and no skeletal structure so is at best an approximation. Real preemies can vary considerably in proportions.

We do have photos and sometimes video of the 4-pound preemie doll for models we've reviewed at CarseatBlog. We don't sugarcoat when the product has a less-than-acceptable fit on the doll. Of course, that doesn't always mean it will fit any particular real baby:-( There's just no way to know for sure.

Even specs like lowest harness slot height and crotch strap distance will be measured differently by different people, and as you mentioned, things like buckle height, crotch strap length and other factors like padding and insert thickness can make all the difference on a real baby.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The (original) bsafe does have a huge chest clip. If the baby has a very small torso I guess I can picture an issue. But did she turn the seat over to check the splitter plate isn't hung up on anything?

lourdes

Also have a Grafo headwide or a radian rxt that I can let borrow, will them for a 5 pound baby?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's really hard to say what will or won't fit a baby with what sounds like an exceptionally small build. I'd probably start with the Cosco Comfy Carry Elite or whatever it is they are calling it now (I seriously can never remember) because it's cheap and has very low slots.

lourdes

I'd pay $30 to get my tiny baby home safely!
She is a 18 y/o that doesn't work, family don't help because they are still mad about the pregnancy, j don't have the money but I know someone that will let me borrow her Chicco

lourdes

I have a friend bringing the Chicco tomorrow and I will probably see the baby tomorrow as well or Thursday

featherhead

What a beautiful little baby :). I would think he should be fine with the Chicco. The infant insert on the Keyfit makes the buckle nice and low, and it also has a much smaller chest clip.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC