1" rule for Britax seats- please help me clarify!

Brianna

A mom on a FB group is being told by 3 different Britax reps that her G4 Advocate is outgrown RF at 1" below the top of the movable headrests. From what I gather from the carseatblog reviews, it is 1" from the shell for the G4 and 1" from the headrest for the click tight seats. Can you please clarify where this info came from, and has anyone else heard this from Britax?

ADS

katymyers

The manuals for the G1-G4 Britax convertibles clearly states it is 1" from the shell NOT the headrest. That rep sounds confused, probably because the ClickTight seats are different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brianna

The manuals for the G1-G4 Britax convertibles clearly states it is 1" from the shell NOT the headrest. That rep sounds confused, probably because the ClickTight seats are different. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was my interpretation as well. I was surprised that it was 3 different reps though- one via email, one via phone, and then another call back from a supervisor. A tech on the FB group is advising mom to follow the instructions from the reps.
G4:
cc547807-d98d-476c-8eea-3738eb1743d1_zpskqobrehf.png

Click tight:
fb817dce-ef3e-473d-b29c-45741bf061cd_zpscsskahpr.png

Last edited:

AllieK

A tech on the FB group is advising mom to follow the instructions from the reps.

I would be over the moon if this was the case! I have two G3s that don't keep my tall kids RF for very long because of the 1" from the shell rule. :(

katymyers

That was my interpretation as well. I was surprised that it was 3 different reps though- one via email, one via phone, and then another call back from a supervisor. A tech on the FB group is advising mom to follow the instructions from the reps.
G4:

Click tight:

Hmm, I'm not holding my breath on that being true but it would be awesome if it was. I got very lucky with Ella and Hunter both being below the 25%ile for height and both were/will be able to rear face to four in their Boulevards. Aubrei is tiny still but since getting her feeding tube and all her calories for feedings figured out her height has been coming up a lot faster than before and I *think* she might end up being sort of tall (she's also got longish feet which make me think she might get tall). I've already figured that I will probably end up buying her a different seat at some point to keep her rear facing because of her height.

melissa621

Huh. Wow...I'll be following this. That's crazy since so many people who ERF stayed away from Britax seats over the past few years. Not that it makes any difference to me because my son is so small that he will probably make it to 4 RF in his Boulevard and Advocate with the 1" shell rule.

Nope, regular BLVD G4. They were taken by another Canadian tech as we had this conversation in March on CCSN Facebook page. She has given me permission to share to help find answers to this.

ETA: messaged Sarah w/ manual excerpts and DOMs. We shall see. I sent them in March to no avail.

Aaaaaaand she's traveling. So this could mean a wait. Hopefully we hear back soon. In the mean time, there is precisely zero chance of me letting a kid RF in a marathon of any kind with their head up over the shell. That pad is literally just.a.pad. There's nothing to it.

tiggercat

Nope, regular BLVD G4. They were taken by another Canadian tech as we had this conversation in March on CCSN Facebook page. She has given me permission to share to help find answers to this.

ETA: messaged Sarah w/ manual excerpts and DOMs. We shall see. I sent them in March to no avail.

G4.1 wasn't it? "Regular" G4 said 1" from shell? Or am I lost again.

Brianna

I got an email from Sarah already:
Britax has revised its convertible fitment guide to recommend rear facing when the top of the child’s head is at least 1 in. (2.5 cm) below the top of the head restraint as opposed to measuring from the top of the seat shell. This revision was made based upon our continuous product development and testing coupled with product designs that facilitate rear facing installation for larger children. This change is also retroactive for all convertibles with head restraints manufactured starting October 1, 2014 and will be updated in user guides as a running change over the next several months.

katymyers

I got an email from Sarah already:

Omg, [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33] seriously? What changed after October, 2014? Or have they just not tested the seats that far back? Holy crap, I might seriously buy a new Boulevard G4.1 for Aubrei because of this. I love those seats so, so, so much, I was seriously bummed by the prospect of her not making it long enough rear facing in one.

Mary_Ann

:'(

Mine has a 2013/11 DOM...

Anyway, my kids are small but have long legs and by the time their head would be over the shell, they would be really squished and hard to buckle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC