Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Forward facing installs, Britax & pool noodles

Is there ever a time when placing a pool noodle in the seat bight would be acceptable for a forward facing install? Specifically a Britax Advocate in a Captains chair that has a pretty significant slope to it.

The car seat in the most up right position (1), and the base pushed as far back against the seatback as possible leaves us with a gap of an inch between the vehicle seat bottom and the car seat base. There is no overhang on the front of the vehicle seat.

On another note if I slide the car seat forward so that the base is flat on the vehicle seat bottom there is still no overhang and I can get a tight install. I have found no information regarding britax seats requiring full contact of the car seat to the vehicle seat back.

Just looking at the geometry of the Britax seats there is not possible way to make that car seat sit flush with any vehicle seat!

Any experience with this out there?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by FireMoo169 View Post
    Is there ever a time when placing a pool noodle in the seat bight would be acceptable for a forward facing install? Specifically a Britax Advocate in a Captains chair that has a pretty significant slope to it.

The car seat in the most up right position (1), and the base pushed as far back against the seatback as possible leaves us with a gap of an inch between the vehicle seat bottom and the car seat base. There is no overhang on the front of the vehicle seat.

On another note if I slide the car seat forward so that the base is flat on the vehicle seat bottom there is still no overhang and I can get a tight install. I have found no information regarding britax seats requiring full contact of the car seat to the vehicle seat back.

Just looking at the geometry of the Britax seats there is not possible way to make that car seat sit flush with any vehicle seat!

Any experience with this out there?
    No to the pool noodle. Can you post a picture?
    C: 12/06, maui PW
    M: 02/08, carbon vivo
    C: 12/10, RF sporty blue TF

Moderator - CPS Technician

Re: Forward facing installs, Britax & pool noodles

You may be able to recline the captain's chair (some vehicles have a maximum amount of recline allowed when a child seat is installed). Otherwise, I'd pull the base forward away from the bight until the base is flat on the seat. From what you've said, there will likely be a significant gap between the lower part of the child seat back, but that's fine.
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava

Thank you for your replies. I saw this install come in for a check and it had been installed by a tech previously and this is how it was done and shown to the parent, so it had me double guessing myself. From everything I have learned and my research telling me it was wrong I still wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something.

The seat left the check installed securely, the vehicle seat was allowed to be reclined 1 or 2 positions and I moved the base of the seat further away from the seat bite. There was about 3 inches from vehicle seat bite to the base of the Britax and still no overhang over the front of the seat.

No pictures were taken, I did not have a phone handy at the time.

Senior Community Member aeormsby's Avatar

Just agreeing that you want the base to be flat on the vehicle seat. The gap at the back is not a safety issue as long as you get a tight install. You are even allowed to have a little bit of overhang (80% of the base must be in contact with the seat/20% overhang is allowed).
    Ann

DD - 1/06 - 5-stepping
    DS - 12/07 - Incognito, Recaro Performance Booster & Harmony Literiders
    And a Bubble Bum for backup/travel