In need of booster... ADDED FIT PICTURES OF MONTEREY

judesmommy

Hi all,

I had changed my son's Frontier 90 to a booster and the fit is terrible. The problem is the arm rests. We are going to sell, for cheap, to a friend who was considering boostering her three year old.

Anyways, my son is 6.5 and tall. We are planning a road trip and need a safe booster for my 2001 Chevy Blazer (no latch) and a safe booster for my boyfriends 2007 Toyota Camery (yes latch).

We tested the fit on several today:

1) The Evenflo Rightfit- I liked the belt fit, but I felt like the foam was flimsy and it fell off of the booster several times.

2) The Recaro Performance booster XL- It was awesome! Except it was so wide that I couldn't buckle him in.

3) The Britax Parkway- The fit wasn't great.

4) The Graco Afix- It fit, but it felt short for him and I didn't like that the side wings were so low and not adjustable.

What would you recommend?

Last edited:
ADS

judesmommy

Re: In need of booster recommendations

I can try it today if I can get a hold of my friend who has one for her seven year old. I can take fit pictures and post here. Does it have to be used with latch?

MotoMommaNH

No, doesn't have to be used with LATCH and the Cambria is much wider....not sure on the measurements though

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

seb3244

There is a out there I saw yesterday online. I think it's maxi cosi something? Anyway it has a recline position for napping. I think that would be great for trips. I'll see if I can find the name and post back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

judesmommy

Okay, we ordered the monterey from Albee Baby. We also tried my friends Monterey. The fit was good; I think. Please look and let me know.

We had a couple of issues though..

The back drivers side is narrower. This is where it is installed in the pictures. You can see how close the buckle is to the seat. This is with the Monterey pulled over towards the door and placed a little off center. You can see that it is off center when looking at the back view of the head rest. The back passenger side is wider, but the belt looks a little warped. I am worried about using that side and I think the belt needs to be replaced. Does this look okay?

I am going to snap some pictures of the belt that I think needs to be replaced.

Attachments

• IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0042.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 67

judesmommy

We did try the Kidfit. It was MUCH narrower than the monterey, but Jude only has one click up for height.

Also, let me mention that we want a HBB that will last as long as possible. Jude has autism, hypoglycemia (chronic low blood sugar) and epilepsy. He frequently passes out in the car.

judesmommy

Rear passenger side photos, including those of the belt.

Can I clip into the center seat belt? See pics.

Does the belt need to be replaced or is this okay?

Attachments

• 11292721_10205641247322961_1659207209_n.jpg
    11292721_10205641247322961_1659207209_n.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 11536824_10205641246962952_41721869_n.jpg
    11536824_10205641246962952_41721869_n.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 11297933_10205641247042954_376422174_n.jpg
    11297933_10205641247042954_376422174_n.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 11426587_10205641247482965_1367773785_n.jpg
    11426587_10205641247482965_1367773785_n.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 55

MotoMommaNH

I can't get the pics of booster fit to load on my phone, but the seatbelt ones I can see.
I don't like how when your belt is buckled by itself it's all floppy...like it's stretched out on the lap portion. Was the vehicle ever in an accident?

judesmommy

Is there a better way for me to post the pictures so that you can see them??

The car was in several accidents... I had the drivers side belt fixed a while ago. The passenger side is where I always installed carseats when my son was young. Maybe it got stretched out?

MotoMommaNH

Yes, its possible it is stretched out, or if a seat was installed at that spot or it was occupied in the accidents, it should be replaced.

Maybe you could try loading the pics in Google Drive, Picasa , photo bucket or the like? Then you can post the link.

tiggercat

Is there a better way for me to post the pictures so that you can see them??

The car was in several accidents... I had the drivers side belt fixed a while ago. The passenger side is where I always installed carseats when my son was young. Maybe it got stretched out?

Is this the seatbelt you had installed the click tight seat with?

AllieK

Also, let me mention that we want a HBB that will last as long as possible. Jude has autism, hypoglycemia (chronic low blood sugar) and epilepsy. He frequently passes out in the car.

I've been thinking about this for a while now. Forgive me if I'm wrong but If your DS frequently passes out in the car he shouldn't he be harnessed? If he's in a booster and passes out he won't be able to stay in position.

Also, in regards to the seat belts, I would have the dealership check them out. I don't think anyone here will be able to tell you if it needs to be replaced without seeing it in person.
Posted via Mobile Device

judesmommy

I'm glad you guys remember.

I took the car to the dealership before I even thought about putting him in a booster. The rear drivers belt was replaced, but the said the rear passenger side was fine. It was twisted at the retractor and they untwisted it. We have been using the frontier 90 in harness mode in my car on the rear drivers side. I just really don't like the way the rear passenger belt feels and looks. I can take it to another dealership and have them check it again?

The rear passenger belt was the one I used the mighty tight on back in early 2009. But, both the belts were weird feeling in the back. The rear drivers side one never had the mighty tight, but the guy at the dealership said it needed to be replaced.

By pass out, I meant fall asleep. He takes medication that makes him tired sometimes. He doesn't flop forward or lean when he falls asleep. His head kind of tilts up into the headrest or wings. I don't think he would move his body from the seatbelt if he was boostered. But, I definately will make sure.

I ordered the monterey already because albee baby had a sale. It should be here in about 5 days. Should I take some fit pictures when it gets here and then make sure he doesn't move when he sleeps?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC