Travel system recommendations

djma

My cousin is expecting her first baby in November. She is asking me for recommendations. I haven't had an infant in 5 years.

Is the Urbini Omni a good one?

I know the basic graco ones.

Anything to keep her away from (aside from rear adjust)?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Urbini is a fine seat. Some of the strollers are nice and some aren't.

Honestly, most travel system strollers suck. I'd only get one of the ”jogger” wheel deluxe ones if going graco or Dorel. Bob is ok. Cybex is good. I personally am not a huge fan of the Uppababy seat or stroller, I think they're overpriced for what they are, but better that than, you know, Evenflo or something.

Honestly, I would advise her to get her ideal stroller and ideal car seat. If they work together, great. If not, no big deal. If she really needs to be able to take the seat in for a quick grocery store run sometimes she can either put it in the bottom of the cart or get a frame stroller instead. Babies should not be in the seat as much as possible and if spending a day at the mall you want a lie flat stroller, not an inclined seat, for health and safety reasons.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
It is probably your most expensive option, but we got our ideal car seat (Cybex Aton) because it was the only one that fit comfortably in our car. Then we got a stroller that fit in our car and was compatible with it (Baby Jogger City Mini) and got the car seat adaptors.

If she can avoid doing that and get a straight-up travel system, it will save her money. But if she has money to burn and wants a really nice stroller and car seat, a Cybex infant seat and baby jogger stroller have served us well. It was expensive, but cheaper than buying a bigger car.

seb3244

Do you think she will rear face until 2? If not I would recommend the Graco 40 I think it's called that way she doesn't need a new seat at age 1ish she can still use the infant seat (and leave it in the car rather than taking it in and out) until age 2 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djma

I hope so. I'm going to keep after her.

Both her and her husband are very very tall, so she will need a seat to accommodate a taller child.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I hope so. I'm going to keep after her. Both her and her husband are very very tall, so she will need a seat to accommodate a taller child.

Keep in mind that tall parents often find that they need the front seat pushed back too far to accommodate many infant seats in the back seat. Depending on the size of their car, they may find it hard to balance both needs. I would recommend a smaller infant seat that will get them to at least 9-ish months and then switching to a more upright convertible, rather than trying to get a tall infant seat that will get their kiddo to 1-2 years old, but might not fit in their car or will cause them to complain and be tempted to FF early.

We've been very comfortable with our Cybex Aton infant seat and then switching to a Chicco Nextfit that is installed more upright when she outgrew it. We aren't that tall, but we have small cars, so the principle is the same as if we were very tall. The Chicco Nextfit will last her RF a long long time by height, and our front seats are at a comfortable position for us to keep her that way for a long time.

djma

Got it. They are hoping to get a new vehicle soon, so I will wait and see what they get and what kind of room it will allow.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC