Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Which seat to take on a plane?

I bought a Guide 65 for plane travel not too long ago for our trip in July. We're traveling on Allegiant Air. I also recently picked up a Diono Radian R100. Would either seat be better? I'm thinking the Radian, since it is more narrow. I plan on putting either seat on a rolling luggage cart, so I don't think weight is much of an issue. Either seat would be installed FF on the plane. Thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Which seat to take on a plane?

Age and weight of child? RF in car? No personal experience with the Diono but I have a Guide, and have read about the Radian. I've read that the Radian will not fit RF on the plane, so you will have to remove the RF boot, and keep it in your luggage and then install it after your flight, which depending on how long your flight is, how tired you will be and how difficult you find the install might not be the best idea. I just removed our Guide from my car because it has a tendency to over rotate when installed if I don't use pool noodles and my dog ate the pool noodle a while ago...

Personally if it were me, I'd probably use the Guide or spring for the Scenera Next, but if you don't mind the Radian install etc and are sure it will fit on your car on the other end of your flight, it might be nice to have a light weight seat if just for lifting it into the car and installing it.
    Mommy to Jake, a.k.a Booger Breath #1- born March 2012 and Sawyer, my little "Soy Bean"- born May 2014

Playing the Car Seat Shuffle between a True Fit Premier, Guide 65, Graco MySize, Graco Milestone and a Maxi Cosi Pria

Carseat Crazy

Re: Which seat to take on a plane?

He's almost 2.5, 34", 23lbs. Still definitely RF in the car. It's only a 2 hr direct flight, so I guess it shouldn't be too bad. Sounds like the Guide might just be easier. I forgot about having the boot and the AA in the baggage.

I know you're looking to use the seat FF on the plane, but Radians do typically fit RF on planes with the angle adjuster.
    Mom to tall guy, 6, in a Frontier 90 and Graco Affix
    - - - and small guy (not so small any more!), 3, RFing in a Clek Fllo and Cosco Scenera NEXT