What can you do about this?

lourdes

So, I am filing a complaint about this, it's more and more people going to the firestation and getting their car seat install wrong, I am doing something about it but I needed proof.... I went today to the local firestation where there is a "CPST" and this is what he did, he only asked if I wanted the seat in the middle and how old was the baby and if she was over 20 pounds
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
That's absolutely terrifying!!

Is this person a certified technician? Or a firefighter who is helping install seats but has no formal training? The route to get this fixed is different depending on whether or not it's someone certified. (IE, is he listed on the SafeKids site?)

I remember you being in the Carolinas (?) but nothing beyond that, so location would be helpful if you'd like help.

How old is baby again?

lourdes

I moved back home to San Juan Puerto Rico, yes he was a "tech" that's what he said, what they are doing here is that they send people to the state to get the training and then this people teach others here, and even the actual tech are not doing it right and I also have proof of that, I called yesterday safekids and have all the information I need to start a complain, I have been calling here the local officials where they teach the class to get certified my self and they refused to make me a tech because I am not a police or firefighter and safe kids said they are also violating the agreements on that part, I will go today to another station and this time I want the little certificate they are giving that has the tech signature and id number , baby is 14 months and 20 pounds

lourdes

Update, so I finally got in touch with the supervisor at the local government office, they will meet with me and the firefighter shif, and they want to see all the pictures I have gather, so yesterday I went to another tech, even got a certificate of installation, of course it's not a good install and he also gave me a good long talk and how my baby needs to be FF and how when I am doing the pinch test if I can pinch the harness that means it's right, and how to do a 5 step only doing 3 steps since the lap potion of the seat belt it's not the one that matters and how I don't need to follow the car seat or the car manuals......... So much information I was actually overwhelm with how many parents are right now doing it wrong thinking they are right.....

lourdes

View attachment 27429

So this just gives you an example, install in center with latch against car manual, too upright and I had to sing something saying that I wanted to keep her RF even when he said she had to be FF, don't worry, she will not ride there, this is just part of the experiment

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC