Vehicles' ability to fit 5 carseats

U

Unregistered

I am an at-home daycare provider. I need a van that has hooks and enough space for 3 rear facing infant carseats and 2 forward facing carseats. The toyota dealership guy said that is not even possible but I think it may be, depending on the car make and model and year...any help would be much appreciated! Thank you :)

ADS

lgenne

The Toyota dealership guy doesn't know what he's talking about. :)

There are quite a few that can work with 5 car seats. Most minivans can, with the right mix of kids/car seats. (Although you might have to use at least one convertible car seat, rather than an infant seat.)

What is your budget? What car seats do you have already?

smiley

I think the sienna added a 4th latch or maybe just tether to the rear row in 2015. Even with latch you may still need to use belt install due to weight or seat fit. The 3rd row is narrower than than the middle row I think due to the wheels. Installing radian FF 3rd row is a pain. You will need something narrow like that to get 3 in the back unless you can booster someone. The bubblebum fits between almost any configuration I've had back there.

AllieK

I always imagine if I had a daycare I would drive a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter or Ford Transit Wagon. In the Ford there is LATCH in every seating position except for the last row (only has 2 outboard, IIRC). Probably a little too much car for an in-home daycare but I'm that kind of person. LOL :eek:

jjordan

Definitely possible. Do keep in mind that you don't need the lower anchors (the metal "hooks" part of the LATCH system that are in the vehicle seat near the seatbelts) to install child seats, so you can often fit 5 seats in even if you don't have 5 sets of lower anchors. And you need top tether hooks only for forward facing harnessed seats.

Basically, any 7-8 passenger vehicle will give you a shot at fitting in 5 child seats, although some vehicles will make it easier than others. If you would like to post a price range and likes/dislikes/hopes/dreams for your vehicle, we can probably help you narrow it down a bit. :)

CMeMeC

I am an at-home daycare provider. I need a van that has hooks and enough space for 3 rear facing infant carseats and 2 forward facing carseats. The toyota dealership guy said that is not even possible but I think it may be, depending on the car make and model and year...any help would be much appreciated! Thank you :)

I'm pretty sure all newer vehicles are required to have at least 2 sets of latch, so at least 2 top tether anchors. I could easily fit 5 car seats in my SUV (it's an older gmc), but the problem I run into is a lack of top tether anchors in the third row. So keep that in mind. You can install the seats with the seat belt, but unless you only watch babies, you will likely need some option for top tether anchors. I would recommend a honda odyssey for its car seat compatibility for sure!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC