Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mifold booster

Senior Community Member thepote's Avatar
    So the booster is flat and the seatbelt gets threaded under it. Hmmm.

http://www.mifold.com

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member jwilliams's Avatar

Re: Mifold booster

Wow! That is really cool. And dishwasher safe! It looks more comfortable than a Bubble Bum.
    5yo harnessed in a Britax Pioneer, one 3yo RF in a Fllo and another 3yo RF in a plum RXT, all in a 2014 Honda Accord.

Hmm. Looking at the pictures in the gallery the lap belt is often flat on the tights only, not really touching the pelvis. Isn't that what counts as "too low" as it can cause submarining?
    I'm all for easy to take along boosters for carpools and the like, though.
    M, 8, FF in a dark blue HTS BeSafe iziUp X3 Fix [ERFed until 5 years old ]. J, 3, RF in a Chilly Pepper Britax MaxWay or a Black Thunder Britax TWE.

That looks pretty sweet!

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

I don't know if it's really safe or not (too low lap belt is what I'm hearing everywhere?), but the IDEA is amazing - and even if this exact model right here wouldn't pass federal testing I hope they'd just tweak it until it did. Because I love the concept of this

Also, I'm like 0-3749594 on pronouncing seat names/brands. I was totally saying "me fold" not "my fold". I can't get any of them right
    Marathon Mom (in training) to:
    J1 - 15 years & 5-stepping and driving (well, provisionally)
    J2 - 7 years in Diono Radian and Graco TurboBooster

Yes, looking again the lap belt seems to be too low. Putting the guides on the back half of the seat instead of the front half would help.

CPS Fanatic

I just bought a Topside (sits low perhaps but not THAT low). Is this smaller or something?

We don't care about portability but for travel maybe.
    Seatbelt and 59" (9 YO)
    Harmony Youth (8 YO)/Clek Olli (6YO)
    Harmony Dreamtime (5 YO)
    Clek Fllo (3 YO, RF)/Graco 40 (15 months)
    + 2 Recaro Performance boosters in spare car

Senior Community Member thepote's Avatar
    Someone on the csftl FB page just posted this screenshot of the lap belt fit:

Lap belt fit: This and this , and this [particularly on the boy in blue shirt looks very low] is from their own gallery.
    I hope they manage to tweak it so that it passes testing.
    M, 8, FF in a dark blue HTS BeSafe iziUp X3 Fix [ERFed until 5 years old ]. J, 3, RF in a Chilly Pepper Britax MaxWay or a Black Thunder Britax TWE.

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Oooooh...quick move the belt guides back a smidge and sell me one in the next 13 days before I take the kids to visit grandma.
    I love promising-looking new products
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quote Originally Posted by bnsnyde View Post
    I just bought a Topside (sits low perhaps but not THAT low). Is this smaller or something?

We don't care about portability but for travel maybe.
    It folds into about the size of an envelope, fits in the glove box.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Based on what I've seen in the video - the lap belt fit is totally unacceptable. IIHS will rate it "Not Recommended". Which is too bad because I do love innovative new products. But this one definitely needs tweaking.

In the last round of IIHS ratings the Kids Embrace backless booster was Not Recommended for that reason. http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/chi...ot-recommended

http://www.iihs.org/media/e35890cc-1...guidelines.pdf

Lap Belt Score

"An effective lap belt position allows the belt to engage the bony pelvis during a frontal crash. If the belt is located above the pelvis, it will load the vulnerable abdominal organs. If the belt is too far forward on the thighs, the body will undergo excessive excursion, and the pelvis may begin to rotate and increase the likelihood of submarining (lap belt passing above the pelvis and loading the abdominal organs). The particular pelvic structures loaded by the lap belt are the anterior superior iliac spines (ASIS), and the equivalent ASIS locations on the ATD pelvis serve as reference points for the lap belt score (further details are available in the protocol). The score is the distance from the ASIS reference point to the top edge of the lap belt, measured along the profile of the pelvis at the lateral location of the ASIS. The score is positive when the lap belt is positioned below the ASIS and negative when the belt is above the ASIS. The distances measured on the left and right sides of the pelvis are averaged for a single lap belt score. The ideal location for the lap belt is an equivalent score of 20 to 50 mm (green zone). A belt located within 10 mm on either side of this zone is considered to provide fair protection (yellow zone). Scores less than 10 mm indicate the belt is located on the abdomen, and scores greater than 60 mm indicate the belt is too far forward on the thighs (Figure 1)."
    Last edited by Kecia; 06-13-2015 at 09:57 PM. Reason: typo

Me & the kids at Dorel

14. Thank You from:

I wrote to them. ... "Hi! Great product! Here's a link to the IIHS booster ratings and why I'm worried you won't do well. Good luck with your new product!"
    (well, I used a feeeewwww more words...)
    Wonder if they'll get back to me?
    Julie

Admin - CPST Instructor murphydog77's Avatar

I'll buy it because he talks with an English accent!

I wonder also about the possibility of slack in the belt. It seems like there's a lot introduced through the hips.

Quote Originally Posted by murphydog77 View Post
    I'll buy it because he talks with an English accent!
    Yeah, I, um, put my name on the list to pre-order, I couldn't resist
    Julie

CPS Fanatic

I am on the list, too.

I did write to them to inquire about the lap belt. Maybe if enough people do...

I mean, I want it to pass and do well and then...it could be a great thing!
    Seatbelt and 59" (9 YO)
    Harmony Youth (8 YO)/Clek Olli (6YO)
    Harmony Dreamtime (5 YO)
    Clek Fllo (3 YO, RF)/Graco 40 (15 months)
    + 2 Recaro Performance boosters in spare car

It seems like just flipping it so the belt guides are in the back would fix the "too low" issue, so hopefully they can!
    Down to just a spare Radian, folded in the hall closet for my Godbaby.

Check out this thread for a Pilot overview!

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    I'm mobile right now so I can't get a great look at the photos, but is there anything stopping you from turning the booster around so the guides ARE at the back?

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LISmama810 View Post
    I'm mobile right now so I can't get a great look at the photos, but is there anything stopping you from turning the booster around so the guides ARE at the back?
    It be nice, but the opening to the guides are in the front, if it was turned around I would think they would come out of the slots. They are only prototypes now, right, maybe he can be convinced to make one with the guides in the back and see how they fit

Quote Originally Posted by HEVY View Post
    It be nice, but the opening to the guides are in the front, if it was turned around I would think they would come out of the slots. They are only prototypes now, right, maybe he can be convinced to make one with the guides in the back and see how they fit

That, and the shoulder belt guide would then be at the front of the seat. It shouldn't take much to redesign it to have the guides further back.