Question Number of Graco Clones on the market?

Bebe

I look at all the entries everyday bc this car seat stuff fascinates me, and feeds my need of having car seats without having kids. Kinda. Anyway, how many different models of Graco Clones does Graco have on the market? I counted 13 current models, not including expired/recalled models.

Headwise 65, Headwise 70; Milestone; Forever Always; Smart Seat; Comfort Sport; My Ride 65; My Ride 70; my Ride 65 LX; Fit4Me 65; Classic Ride 50; Size4Me 65; Contender 65. Am i right? Also, why do es Graco have so many seats? They all look the same to me. (Although I think the Comfort Sport and Classic Ride ought to be retired, they look so 1999, just old looking and lacking in comfort/extras. And I do think the Smart seat is overkill in its bells and whistles and physical size).

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I guess it depends how you're defining "clone."

The SmartSeat is a unique seat--not the same as a MySize, etc.

The 4Ever and Milestone are pretty much the same thing as each other, but not the same as the clones.

The 70 versions of the other clones are now discontinued.

None of them are expired, and I don't think any have been recalled.

They do have a lot of names for their seats, and it is annoying. It's probably done to satisfy retailers who want "exclusives." Also so they can change minor features and have higher/lower-end models.

1mommy

I think you might be a little confused- the Graco "clones" are the Headwise (Target), MySize (Toys R Us), Size4Me, Fit4Me (walmart) and Contender (Walmart)

This thread has a nice chart that details the differences. Different stores have "exclusives" which means that store alone has the right to that name and pattern which also prevent matching prices because the seat is not identical. I wouldn't count the 65 vs 70 as a different seat- it was just due to new testing standards if you want to claim it holds over 65 pounds it has to fit a larger crash test dummy in the seat, so the seats are now only rates to 65 pounds because that's the max size of the crash test dummy.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=277134

Personally I like the look of the Classic Ride and bought it for my son briefly but before I opened the box I did some research and returned it because it wasn't going to be long lasting.

The Milestone and 4Everare also very close in style to the seats but still not similar enough to be a "clone". More like a "sister" vs a "clone".

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's the 'mysize' type seats that are "clones" http://www.gracobaby.com/products/pages/mysize-65-convertible-car-seat-everest.aspx
The other seats are just other seats.
1Mommy explained it well, different names for different stores to prevent price matching and profit loss.
All the other companies do the same thing, but, like, Dorel hides it better by making you think the Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite is different from Eddie Bauer 3-in-1 (that same seat has had about 13 names over the years, lol).

griffinej5

This type of thing is done by a lot of stores on lots of products in order to prevent price matching. You won't find the same plastic storage bins, or mattresses across different stores often either.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC