Buying from Craig's List

AllieK

(I am asking this for a friend)

Would you buy a car seat off Craig's List if it still had the tags on the harness and you were told it was new?

The seat in question is a Coccoro & the seller is asking $130, if that makes a difference.

ADS

meljc

Having sold gently used car seats on craigslist, it would probably be hypocritical of me to say that I wouldn't. If tags are still on, I'd probably be ok with it provided the person didn't seem really sketchy when you met up. I will say that I got my coccoro from blinq for $133 a few years ago. The only difference between that situation and yours is that I had the option to return (for free, IIRC) if anything seemed amiss. If you don't need it urgently you could keep watch on blinq and target, as I've seen it get down toward 150 pretty often.

aept

Considering the tags are still on? I probably would make an exception for that. (Also not seeming sketchy, etc.)
That said, does the friend know they will love the coccoro? I thought I would LOVE it but did not like how it installed in my van and returned the one I bought. So not being able to return it might be a risk unless they already know it will work for them.

AllieK

She wants the Coccoro "because it's cute", she is not too knowledgeable about installs & safety features. I warned her that 1) Craig's List might not be the best place to buy from and 2) The Coccoro seemed to be tricky to install RF from what I've seen posted here. She passed up a few other CL listings for the Coccoro based on the fact that they were gently used & there was no guarantee they weren't in an accident but she feels like this one is a steal since it's NWT (or at least claims/appears to be).

My whole thing is, why wouldn't someone just return the seat to where they bought it from if it's NWT? Why sell it on CL at a loss?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I suppose it's possible it was a gift (or past the return date) and the owner can't return it? I get a lot of returns at BRU that I *wish* people would sell on CL instead of losing us money when we throw them away... (ps, this is not an endorsement of buying used seats willy nilly, but you wouldn't believe the nearly pristine things we have to trash because Junior doesn't like it after one ride, and there's a dog hair on it, or whatever).

bnsnyde

I sell a lot of seats on Craigslist.

Most nearly brand new. It's had to part with them...but as we rearrange kids some don't fit anymore in the van.
I would not buy one on it b/c I just don't know the history, though.
The ones I sell, well, I know their history, they are not expired, and am OK selling them if there are buyers.

My cousin is having a baby and I have a nearly new Aton 2 for her for free, and an Advocate from 2011. She can't use it forever of course, but I can tell her when it expires and remind her to stop using it when the time comes. I remember these things and am good about reminding people! I remember the birthdays of my carseats. :)

I have someone coming for a newish (used a few months) Performance Sport for $55 today, actually! A low offer but I need it to go as we don't need it at all.

Oh, and what do stores like Amazon do with returned carseats? I had to return a booster that did not fit and felt terrible, like I was sending the poor seat to its death. What becomes of it?

littleangelfire

IIRC I only paid $127 for each of mine a little over a year ago at target online, so it's not that big a steal, thru do go on sale at target still if she's not picky on color

Brigala

CPST Instructor
This falls into the realm of "personal comfort zone."

Would I buy it? I don't know. Maybe. I think I'd have to get a pretty good vibe from the seller and inspect the seat and packaging closely to ensure that I believed it was *really* new, unused, undamaged. And I'd ask why they didn't return it to the store.

I got my Coccoro "open box" from No Better Deal some years back, for about that price if I recall correctly. It still had the tags attached, too.

katymyers

I bought a Frontier 90 from Target for $185 that was a return. Open box but tags were still in place so I felt comfortable with it. Craigslist is more sketchy IMO, I would have a much harder time buying a seat off Craigslist even if it looked pristine. Of course I have also sold quite a few seats on Craigslist myself that were perfect and if buying this means she won't buy another seat that's more likely to be damaged off of Craigslist it might be a better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

christineka

There are many sellers in my area that buy stuff for deals and then resell for less of a deal. This could be one of those people. There's also the possibility that they bought the seat, couldn't fit the box in their vehicle, so took the seat out and threw out the box in the parking lot. Maybe the seat was a gift, they threw out the box, and then decided they wanted a different seat. Whatever the reason is, I highly doubt people drive around with tags attached to the harness and get into crashes, then resell the seat. I have no issues buying a seat off craigslist with tags attached, as long as seller is not sketchy.

AllieK

Yeah, personally I wouldn't buy from CL, especially since it's only a small discount.

The friend is going to check it out today.
Posted via Mobile Device

HaileysMommy

I wouldn't buy it. It's not that fantastic of a deal and even though it's probably okay she doesn't know. Also if she isn't into properly installing it then she needs an easier seat.

AllieK

I wouldn't buy it. It's not that fantastic of a deal and even though it's probably okay she doesn't know. Also if she isn't into properly installing it then she needs an easier seat.

I haven't talked to her yet but knowing her she will buy it, not be able to install it, then just buy a new Britax and flip the Coccoro back on CL. LOL

Her DD is 6mo & riding in a Britax infant seat so she's got time to be indecisive, I suppose.
Posted via Mobile Device

littleangelfire

I haven't talked to her yet but knowing her she will buy it, not be able to install it, then just buy a new Britax and flip the Coccoro back on CL. LOL

Her DD is 6mo & riding in a Britax infant seat so she's got time to be indecisive, I suppose.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Coccoro is so short lived for most babies I don't think I'd buy it for a 6 month old unless I was ok with knowing I'd have to buy yet another car seat. Don't get me wrong, I have two of them but used them from birth and knew we'd be having another child to hand them down to so they're definitely getting their use. But I bought them knowing full well I'd be getting another convertible at some point, plus we had to have narrow compact seats for the cars we had at the time

cookie123

I bought my COccoro for $210 so it seems like a great deal to me. I got Cherry Pie and that color never seemed on sale at the time. Ive bought new from CL once and open box from No Better Deal once. It seems like the same thing really. Either way, inspect the seat for damage, make sure all the pieces are there. Maybe look over the manual ahead of time so you know what you're looking for. Definitely ask why they're selling. Most importantly, remember you are not obligated to buy it anything seems off.

meljc

The seller probably bought it online from Albee or another store that doesn't do free returns, then didn't like the install (or couldn't do it right). The hit to ship it back isn't worth it.

As for the seat choice, it's definitely "niche" as the blog has listed it in the past. We bought one for DS for travel after hating the onSide Air (=scenara) but we do heavy-duty long international trips and need light, compact gear. He was able to RF in it until just before 3yo, then used it FF for one trip. Now it's DD's daily ride and she can probably RF in it past 3yo since she's really tiny. I like that it allows me to fit three across pretty easily and the installation usually isn't a problem. It's not a bad choice of seat, just maybe not the RIGHT choice unless she has particular needs and a small child.

Jools -- DO YOU GUYS REALLY THROW OUT ALL THE RETURNED SEATS????

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC