Question 7 y/o is too old for a harness?

lourdes

so DD is 7 y/o and rides in a TT with SS, we are making a trip this sunday, its a 3 hour trip each way and she will fall asleep at one point or another, I dont like when she goes to sellp in the booster specially for a long time, she still fits at the Radian, the spharness is just above the shoudelr, will I be over reacting if i have her back in harness for the trip?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
No, if she's likely to be out of position when asleep there is nothing wrong with harnessing her on long trips to ensure she stays in position as long as she fits.

What is a TT with SS?

lourdes

She it's usually fine, but ones she goes to sleep she does this weird thing that she kind of throws her head back and pushes her chest forward and I don't like it

bubbaray

What you describe doesn't necessarily mean that her torso is out of position relative to the vehicle seat belt. My kids sleep like that in their boosters ALL the time and maintain the proper belt fit

lourdes

What you describe doesn't necessarily mean that her torso is out of position relative to the vehicle seat belt. My kids sleep like that in their boosters ALL the time and maintain the proper belt fit
I will try to find a picture, to me she looks like she is out of position, she moves too much forward and bends her legs

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Throwing the head back is actually great to keep kids in position. Sliding forward could be problematic though.

2BunniesMommy

My 6 year old wants to use a booster full time. She doesn't always sit correctly, even awake and often moves her chest clip too low when she is harnessed. We are going on a long trip (longest road trip ever for us) a couple weeks before she turns 7. I told her if she shows that she can keep herself safe between now and then that she can be in a booster after the trip. Currently she is harnessed in both main cars and in a booster for about a year now when with Grammy because she outgrew the weight limit for LATCH and her former seat didn't install easily with the seat belt. She does ok as far as I know for those short trips, but the one time she was in the booster for a longer (90 mile each way) trip I had to remind her to sit up many times.

So, in my opinion, harnessing your 7 year old for a long car ride makes sense.

Suzibeck

My 7 yo is going back in a harness for a 3 hr trip this weekend and for a 5 hr trip in August. She usually does fine in a booster but occasionally needs a reminder to sit correctly. I'm not comfortable with longer rides yet.

Lemonade

I have returned my kids to harnesses for long trips. DD for sleep, but with both I was concerned they would have difficultly maintaining position for 6-7 hours. If she fits, it's a totally fine thing to do.

jwilliams

I can see myself harnessing my now -5yo for as long as possible on our once or twice yearly long trip, even after she moves to being boostered full time. She's not a car sleeper, but it saves everyone from worrying about maintaining proper position. I'm an adult and I have problems sitting properly for three hours!

lourdes

She needs constant reminders on daily bases, she has adhd so she is more impulsive than an average 7 y/o I guess.... She gets mad when she is harness because she can't move or get her way when something falls from her lap or when she sister needs her paci, she will take coloring books and crayons and things like that with her, but I am sure she will be sleeping on our way back, what worries me is that if she gets out of position I can't see it right away if I am the one driving, we also are driving a small car, Suzuki sx4 if that helps.....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC