Question Choosing New Car Seats Help

lilmama2

Hi,

We are in the midst of investigating new car seats for our kids. Here is our current set up. We have a newly 4 year old 38 lbs 39" in a FF Safety First Scenera. And a 4 month old 18lbs in a RF Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP (5-22lbs).

At first I thought we would just purchase a booster for our 4 yr old and move our new guy over to the Safety First RF. However, I'd like to keep my options open to go three across in the future, so I started researching and now realize I'm not a huge fan of the Safety First purchase and I my 4 year old really isn't ready for a seat belt at all.

So here I am reading every blog I can find. I thought the Diono Radian or Ranier were gonna work (buy two one for each kid), but then we went and saw them and they felt so big and open for my 4month old, and I read the review here about the belt/booster getting stuck when using them as a booster and got put off. I'd love some advice. Obviously money is a consideration, but when I think about this being a long-term solution for us, plus the safety factor, cost lowers in priority.

Thanks in advance for the help.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hi!

The Scenera is a fine seat. I'd hand that down to the baby for now and get a combination seat (forward facing to booster) for the 4 year old.

What car is this?

lilmama2

The car is a 2013 Hyundai Sante Fe (no third row). I think with the right seats we should be ok, but since I'll have to purchase something at least for my 4 year old, I thought getting a more narrow model would give us the best chance.

lilmama2

We did try out the Harmony Defender in the store, but the lower crotch strap seemed a bit short. It fit fine now, but I thought that it might not be long before I'd be pinching thighs with the buckle.

I'm reading that the securekid is 19" wide. Is that narrow for the harnessed to belt boosters?

At what age could we still use the diono for the 4 year old harnessed? My understanding is that it isn't the best for booster, but perhaps if we used it till my 4 yr old was ready for a belt, then pass it to our little one and get a narrower belted booster?

My other concern is comfort. We do a few long drives so I liked the idea that some of them reclined which I assume is more comfortable.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC