Incognito too hard to buckle

bnsnyde

My 8 YO is in the Incognito squished between a Evenflo Sure Ride on one side, and (outboard passenger side) a Boost Air (HBB).
He's been not sliding the lap belt through the slot on the one side! It's nearly impossible because there is no room to see, it's dark (van in garage so even with lights, no light reaches the buckle). Even outside it's dark back there.

Thoughts? I don't know any harnessed seat that would work better to replace Sure Ride. It puzzles OK. Even Harmony Defender was wider in worse places. And truly my 4 YO needs the highest harness; he's tall!

As for the booster on the other side of him, pretty much anything can go there that fits. It's up against the Sure Ride that causes the problem.

He is 56" so not 5 stepping yet. Getting there...but not yet.

I tried to help him and even I could not see well enough or get the belt through. It was hot (and really just 81 so not even HOT yet), and it was taking forever as I kept telling him to try. Meanwhile the car van was getting quite hot and kids started crying (we have to load 6 to go anywhere).

So...we don't really have another set up that works.

I am not sure how we'll manage summer! (Bubble Bum has the same type of slots so I doubt it'd be any better, and it has way less leg support.)

I thought we had the perfect setup for us...but we've got a 1/2 buckled Incognito!

ADS

Dillipop

CAn you move the sureride to the other side and have the boosters next to each other on the smaller half? It'll be easier to buckle with 2 boosters next to each Other. This is the setup in my van and the bubblebum rider has to buckle first before the other booster rider to give enough space to get the guides taken care of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I wondered if it was one of us on Amazon with that picture :D.
I know the Boost Air is really narrow...is there anything even narrower? You need a highback for that kiddo, correct?

bnsnyde

I might play around with it tomorrow.
:)

Thanks for the suggestions!
Dreamtime might fit but I shudder about putting that headrest on if I buy one!

I'll first see what I can do with what I have, and even a Harmony Youth (have that) is an option for 7 YO in general.

edit: It was nice having 4 YO in that spot out of the way for carline. Plus I could unbuckle him from my side before he'd freak out, so he could exit with other kids before I take the 2 wee ones out.

Last edited:

lgenne

The 8 yo needs to be in the center, for drop off, yes? If not, I would try the Youth Booster in the center. It's narrower than the Incognito and doesn't have the flexible slots, which might make buckling easier (or harder...)

I agree that putting the Sureride on the other side should improve the situation. A Cardiff head rest might, too. The HBB for the 7 yo is because she occasionally falls asleep, right?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Or possibly a TopSide because it might be easier with the shoulderbelt over the armrest? Lap fit can be wonky (dumb word for 'too low on lap') with bigger kids, though...

bnsnyde

Harmony Youth, Sure Ride, Topside worked I guess.
They can all buckle OK. Topside truly saved us without having to route shoulder part, though I would not have known that! Only 100 lb. limit but he is 75 so for now it's good.

So for now, I think this is it.
Really 99% of the time 7 YO does not sleep and it's just to school or the store.

Last edited:

bnsnyde

Yes, Jools, the Topside is lower on him than I am used to.

While he buckled the Youth Booster just fine, I saw that the shoulder belt wasn't even going into the little slot and he wasn't putting it in (would be difficult given space anyway). So rather than misuse that seat, I put the Topside in which he uses correctly. Easy for him to buckle lap part.

Is the lower lap position OK, given our limited choices? Did the company notice this on the dummies and pause for a moment? Though, I don't think the fit is all that different from some we use in the spare car. Recaro Performance booster I think does that a bit if I remember?

What's with the only backless on the market to route the belt differently? :) I would not even have KNOWN and assumed I knew how to use a backless. Glad I checked in here!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I mean, if it's not making you gasp because it's so low on his thighs, I'd be fine with it. Flat and a little forward is fine.
Yeah, I wonder why it has to be different? It's a constant reminder in my car because of my varied selection and all different rules. Sigh.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Read something the other day (think Christine posted it) that the KidsEmbrace backless does, too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC