Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    BobalooG

Question Britax Boulevard Infant Positioning Pillow

We picked up a Britax Boulevard G4 (2014) back in November for our daughter who had just been born. We've been using a Graco Snugride but are now ready to switch to the Boulevard. This is our second Boulevard and third Britax overall, so I'm pretty comfortable with installing and using them.

That being said, this model, unlike our old Boulevard, has this giant Infant Positioning Pillow that baby sits on and is "required" for less than 22lbs and rear facing. When this pillow is in place, and everything else is adjusted properly, the hip straps lie across the middle of my daughter's thighs. It looks very uncomfortable and doesn't look like any normal fitting car seat I've used before.

If I remove the Infant Positioning Pillow, she fits perfectly in the car seat, everything is nice and tight, shoulder straps are at an appropriate height, and the hip straps lie across her upper-thighs/hips.

I'm not sure whether it's safe to not use this Infant Positioning Pillow, especially considering our old Boulevard didn't have one and was a very safe car seat.

For what it's worth, my daughter is almost 8 months old, has good head control, sits by herself, etc. She's not a wobbly-headed new born at all.

Has anyone else run into something like this? Any thoughts on ways to deal with it?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Britax Boulevard Infant Positioning Pillow

On the thighs is fine. The insert must be used until 22 pounds.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Yea, according to Britax the pad must be used until 22 lbs and discontinued at 22 lbs. I didn't care for the infant insert either and didn't like their wording in the manual but the strap positioning is safe/tested to that size. This was one time I wished my DS would gain weight faster--he used that inset until he hit 22 lbs at 18 months.
    DD 12/08 FF in FR90, FR85 and booster training in a Graco Affix (44.25", 44 lbs @ 6 years)
    DS 3/13 RF in a Blvd and Evenflo Sureride (35.75", 25 lbs @ 2 years)

That's the G4 seat the straps are 2-3 in longer then the previous model . Hence why you have to use that pillow til 22 lbs and the previous model didn't have it .

CPS Fanatic

Re: Britax Boulevard Infant Positioning Pillow

We have an Advocate (2011) and it has nothing for an infant. A lumbar pillow I guess.

I did just order the infant foam thing for 5-11 lbs. though so a baby can use it well.
    Seatbelt and 59" (9 YO)
    Harmony Youth (8 YO)/Clek Olli (6YO)
    Harmony Dreamtime (5 YO)
    Clek Fllo (3 YO, RF)/Graco 40 (15 months)
    + 2 Recaro Performance boosters in spare car