Quick Growing Baby- Convertible carseat - Canada

U

Unregistered

Hi there,
Im trying to find a convertible car seat for my boy, he's only 5 months old but weighs 21 lbs and wearing 18 month clothes. he's proportionate not just large. He is quickly outgrowing his infant seat and need some help. I drive a Civic and need something that will fit. My spouse has a scion frs we would like something that would fit there as well but I'm sure that is next to impossible. I want to rear face him for as long as possible but with how big he is i don't know where to start....
any help would be great!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Re: Quick Growing Baby- Convertible carseat

Do you have a budget for two seats, and how is his head control?

Wendy

lgenne

I have a similarly sized baby and went with a Scenera NEXT. My thinking:

1) It's a great car seat that fits all kinds of awkward spaces and it will almost certainly get him to 2 at least.
2) Yes, I'm planning to RF past 2, but I don't need to spend a ton of money or buy something gigantic right now to RF him for now. And the currently available options are not identical to the options that will be available when he outgrows the SN. I'm kicking the can down the road a couple years for that perfect big toddler ERF seat. (The SN is under $50.)

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
If he has good neck control (and therefore can be more upright)....

The Nextfit might be a good option for you. It fits in very small spaces. I have mine in an Impreza and still have the front seat at a comfortable distance for me while driving. With the way that our headrests on the front seat slope, the height of the Nextfit can be fully extended and it still doesn't touch the front seat. So it would get virtually all kids to 40 lbs RF.

The Britax Boulevard CT would also be a good one to try and I have installed it in a Civic, but I didn't try extending the headrest all the way, so I don't know whether it can be fully extended while still in a reclined position. On the plus side, you can have it as upright as the kid wants -- but not all kids are comfortable in a RF seat that is very upright.

U

Unregistered

hi, thank you for the answers, i lost the page and couldn't find it to reply, I've been doing some research and found the clek foonf, has anyone tried one of these? i don't mind paying more to have something that will last a long time, if i need to buy 2 seats i will but would prefer to invest in one that will last long.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The NextFit isn't available in Canada, btw, and the Scenera Next is brand new and about $100 in Canada.

The Boulevard ClickTight is very very tall, by Britax. Taller than the Foonf, with the same weight limit rear facing.

For tall and heavier kids in Canada I'd probably aim for the Diono Rainier and Diono Pacifica, which rear face to 50 pounds and go to 44", or 1.5" of shell above the head.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

thank you so much for all your help! I'm going to look at the suggested ones and see what i can find locally.
you guys have been a huge help!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC