High back booster for petite 7.5 & 9.5 year old

nwmm

Hello.

I'm looking for a high back booster for my petite 7.5 and 9.5 year old.

Our Britax Marathons will be expiring soon.

I'm looking for safety, obviously.

I'm attracted to Frontier due to: safety ratings, easy to install, fact that I can wash the cover easily.

The drawback ( and please don't judge) is the size. My kids do feel silly in a car seat. When we return to school, my oldest will be almost 10 and 8. Friends see her in it and many comment etc. I know safety is #1 priority, but it is hard at age 10 climbing into a car seat.

We have a Camry and will be using them in a Camry or RAV4.

Some places rate the Graco Turbo Surround an A.

How do our car techs feel about them? Or is there an even better slim line looking one highly rated?

I have to measure them again, but we think the 7.5 year old is 49 inches and 43-45 pounds. 9.5 year old is 51 and 46/47+ in weight.

Thanks so much car seat techs!!!

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Do they still fit in the Marathons with their shoulders below the top strap settings? If so, they have very short torsos and the Turbo would be a fine choice.

A belt-positioning booster is a fine choice at their ages. I'd definitely look for one that can go backless, since that is the next step and might make them more comfortable.

lgenne

Do they fall asleep in the car? Are they good at sitting still? If they're behaviorally ready, I'd just get them backless boosters now. There's no proven benefit to high back boosters at all, and most of the expected benefit comes from the reminder to sit correctly. If the high backs are embarrassing, there's no need to have them.

Cnidaria

And there is no demonstrated safety benefit to harness straps over a belt-positioning booster at their ages, either, provided they can sit properly in their boosters.

nwmm

Thank you guys. I'm still thinking.

I planned on getting a Frontier, but I am thinking of a Graco Surround Safety or maybe Affix or even Recado. My hang up is the Graco has less of a structure for side impact it looks like. We have an older Camry that we plan to replace soon.

Is a Recaro Performance better for taller kids? I've seen that more than once and I know tall kids who own them!

I just posted this question so I don't mean to post twice, but as long as I am typing this, does a new Graco Affix have more Surround than a Graco Turbo safety surround?

Will the Graco safety surround slip when the child is in it?

Thank you so much!!!

nwmm

Do you need a latch on a booster if the child is over 45 pounds?

I realize the latch helps when the child is not in the seat.

Some reviews for Affix say one latch buckle works better than another so not safe. That was a 2013 review. I don't know when affix was updated.

lgenne

Latch serves no purpose on a booster once the child is buckled in. It's only for keeping the booster from becoming a projectile when it's not buckled in and to keep it from sliding around when the child is climbing in.

I wouldn't worry about a single consumer review from 2013. If one person had a problem, maybe they had a defective product, or they didn't know what they were doing.

bnsnyde

The Recaros are very well made, in my opinion.
We own 3 of the Performance Boosters.

The sides are nice and deep. Super sturdy seats.
We really like them!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC