Recaro start

Mymy mama

There is someone selling a Recaro Start Booster on my local craigslist. It was manufactured in 07. They sAid it didn't have an expiration date on the tag and sent me a snapshot. It looks in prime condition and was 350 new. My question is wouldn't it technically expire this year? Isn't seven-eight years omax on seats? However I know some go to ten.

Let me know what you guys think. I am looking for a booster for my lo. I just happened upon this ad while looking generally at baby stuff on craigslist.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm fairly sure Recaro's expirations are only 6 or 7 years, so there's a good chance it's already expired. Someone else will know for sure, though.

We generally advice against buying second-hand seats when you don't know the history of the seat. It's very possible the seat could be broken, missing parts, has been in a crash, is expired, recalled, or sometimes just gross :p

If you tell us your child's age, height, and weight, we might be able to steer you toward an affordable and long-lasting new seat.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I have a beautifully perfect Start...it was DOM in 2004, and I decided that even with Recaros long standing insistence that these don't have expirations (it's aluminum with springs and cloth, very little plastic to break down, though the top tether adjuster did start rusting in an unnerving way), I decided 10 years was my max with it, but didn't use it past like 7 years. It's a *giant pain* to buckle (super obnoxious shoulderbelt lockoff), so as comfy as it was for my kids when there were no other comfy seats out there, I'd pass. Though if you want a floor gaming chair, it's good for that in the house, lol (it even has speakers in the headwings so you can plug in an ipod).

christineka

I believe I read on here years ago, that Recaro decided to add an expiration. (Maybe 10 years?) See if you can get the model number and date of manufacture, then call Recaro and ask.

Mymy mama

Thanks for the replies! I kinda wanted to warn the people they might be selling an expired seat. I would just buy a pro booster if it was just for me.
I do want a second seat for my dd. She is six and 42 lbs tall and thin. She is just now outgrown her proride. I can measure her tomorrow for height. It's been since october. She is in a prosport. Her extra seat will probably be in dh's1990 BMW 325 is. It is a coupe. I drive a 2006 BMW 530 wagon so I can always put the new seat in my car and prosport in his. The baby is in a chicco keyfit right now. I am moving her to the proride. So I actually need another seat for her eventually. For now we can just move the proride from car to car. I do have an alpha omega safety first carseat that was given to me brand new by my friend. I absolutely despise that seat though and I have had it since dd was 1'so it is getting old. I think I will donate it to a thrift store. I was thinking about getting a secure kid 400 for dd1's backup seat. I bought my niece one a while back and she likes it. I'll get her height measurements tomorrow!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC