Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Easy Travel Seat for 38lb 4.5yo

What's on the market these days? dd has two Frontiers at home but I need a harnessed seat for an upcoming flight to London. I was hoping to go with nothing but we are driving 8 hours before the flight and then 4 hours when we return a month later. For those reasons I don't feel like she could do a booster quite yet, she falls asleep in the car a lot.

I am traveling alone with two kids so need something I can attach with the "traveling toddler" to a suitcase and is the smallest/lightest I can get with tall enough top slots (she is 40.5" tall). She is around 50% for height and weight right now.

The seat will be used one more time this fall during a domestic flight so it would probably need to be rated over 40lbs, but I wouldn't mind some under 40lb recs if the slots are high enough. She's thinning out so I don't expect a big weight gain within 6 months.

Oh and I need budget friendly 😊

DS 1/2009, DD 2/2011
    Britax Frontier & Turbo Booster SS
    Cruising in a 2015 Pilot and 2002 Jeep Liberty

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: Easy Travel Seat for 38lb 4.5yo

Maestro is easiest but you have to be confident with your ability to use a locking clip. Nothing light here has a lock off, so you have to figure out the living clip or bring a heavy seat. I am taking my nearly 4 year old to London soon and bringing her G4Boulevard because the Maestro is a PITA to install in the cushy Volvo seats we use there. She is soooo close to outgrowing the G4 but this is the last hurrah with it.

4. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy

What about a secure kid DLX? It's slightly heavier than a Maestro, but comes with premium latch, so it should be easier to install, and amazon has it for $107

6. Thank You from:

CPS Fanatic

Uk doesn't have top tethers usually and UAS anchors aren't universal, so latch isn't ideal as an installation.

Thank you for the suggestions so far!

I should have mentioned that I don't have plans to use the seat while in the UK, if that helps with choices.
    This is purely for the drive back and forth to the airports (in the US) in rental cars and *hopefully* on the flight. Which is why I need light and cheap.

If we do use a car there (which is extremely doubtful), she can use my son's booster and he can use a bubblegum I'm packing for emergencies.
    DS 1/2009, DD 2/2011

CPS Fanatic

Maestro.

10. Thank You from:

Deleted nevermind 😊 thanks for the help! Maestro it is!
    DS 1/2009, DD 2/2011