Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    LiteBulb

Elr mode installation - Malaysia

My car is not equipped with alr mode. It wouldnt be easy for me to source for a locking clip at my location.

Therefore for rearfacing installation, can i lock the belt by tugging it in elr mode?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member jwilliams's Avatar

Re: Elr mode installation - Malaysia

No, a seat belt with only ELR mode is not an acceptable installation method. The seat needs to be secure before a crash. First check if your latchplate - the part with the metal buckle on it - locks in any way.

Did you try pulling your belt out all the way to see if it switches to ALR mode?

If neither part (retractor or latchplate) locks, and you cannot obtain a locking clip, only a seat with a built-in lock off can be installed safely.
    5yo harnessed in a Britax Pioneer, one 3yo RF in a Fllo and another 3yo RF in a plum RXT, all in a 2014 Honda Accord.

Re: Elr mode installation - Malaysia

I also suggest searching for a car seat that comes with a vehicle belt locking feature.

Most Overseas (European,and Asian) brands tend to come with vehicle belt locks as the vehicles often do not have locking belts. These are often called "lock offs" some are attached to the child car seat itself and others are similar to locking clips in North America that are a separate piece that clip around the belt.

Canadian CPST, Mommy to ,
    E 12 5 Steps!
    N 7 Monteray, Prkway & Clek