Radian RXT booster help with seatbelt!

megiu0502

So I just took the harness straps out of our new RXT so my daughter could use it as a booster. (replacing her safety 1st air protect which I have felt she was safe in but absolutely hated for ease of use). She is 6, over 40 lbs and tall enough. I believe she is mature enough to handle it as well, otherwise she knows those harness straps will go right back in!!

Anyway, I have it all installed. When I run the seatbelt through the belt path behind the side head protection and pull on it, there is slack and the seatbelt does not tighten up. I can't figure out how to fix while still using that belt path. I can't seem to find any installation videos on installing this seat as a booster. Can anyone give advice or pictures or a link to a video? I love this seat-we already had one for my other daughter and have another on the way to replace my son's infant seat. I hate to think I won't be able to use this as a booster like I thought. :(

BTW it's placed in the third row of a 2011 Honda Pilot.

ADS

lgenne

The Radian has a 50 pound minimum weight for booster usage, and is usually outgrown by height before kids hit the minimum weight. I would use this one for your youngest and return or resell the one you have on the way unopened.

What problems are you having with the Boost Air? Maybe we can give alternate suggestions.

littleangelfire

Hi :) what she said. It has a booster function but does not function well as a booster. Have you seen the way other boosters the headrest/back moves up to get taller and has a bigger loop on it for the shoulder belt? This allows a booster to fit better and the shoulder belt to move freely. You could use it has a harness seat with her or like she said best option probably to return the new one coming and use this one for your younger child

megiu0502

Thank you both! I didn't realize you had to be 50 pounds. I'll check but I'm pretty sure she's not quite there. Man is this aggravating!! I was greatly looking forward to (plus I sold my husband on the long life of this seat) using this as a booster. I do know what you mean about the side adjustment thing-I will keep an eye out for a seat with one of those.

Do you have any recommendations for a third row booster? We make long road trips about every other month so I don't mind spending more money on a booster if it means more comfort.

I hate the safety 1st because she can't unbuckle herself at the bottom buckle and it's extremely difficult to tighten. We don't loosen it every time but sometimes it just needs tightening up and it never feels like it's quite where it should be.

I've got a Recaro Proride for my almost 3 year old and I like it, but I'm not a huge fan of the height (rear facing) and forget trying to get the cover back on after you've washed it, so I just have a really nasty looking seat. :(

My 4 year old has a Diono RXT and we love it. She can buckle and unbuckle herself (though I always make sure she buckled properly) and it tightens to where I am comfortable that it is the way it should be.

I'm sure we will save one of the new RXT's for my son outgrowing his infant seat because I got a great deal on it and I love the seat and how it fits in our car.

megiu0502

The Radian has a 50 pound minimum weight for booster usage, and is usually outgrown by height before kids hit the minimum weight. I would use this one for your youngest and return or resell the one you have on the way unopened.

What problems are you having with the Boost Air? Maybe we can give alternate suggestions.

I think we have the safety first complete air for her that I was hoping to replace with the RXT as a booster. I have no experience with any boosters other then trying this RXT out as one today. :)

CMeMeC

If you just purchased the RXT to use as a booster, I would return it and purchase a dedicated high back booster seat for her. There are a lot of great hbb on the market. My personal favorites are the Recaro boosters, but they aren't narrow and I'm not familiar with your car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC