Tricky Booster Requirements

carseatfreak

Hello!

I am in need of some suggestions. I need a booster that will meet the following requirements (to be used in a 2015 Silverado double cab - formerly extended cab):

1. Shallow seat depth
2. Doesn't require a headrest (no headrest on center/shallow seat)
3. Easy to retract guides when the shoulder belt comes out higher
4. Need two of them and they will be used one center and one outboard.

This is for dh's vehicle (not our main vehicle). We bought turboboosters but they aren't a good fit. The center one hangs over just a tad. In the outbound seat the belt won't retract unless you manually do it.

The girls have graco nautilus seats and radian xtsl's. The headrest on the radian is becoming problematic so we had switched to the nautilus seats. They are TOO big for this truck though. I want to keep them in a harness...but this vehicle isn't used much and dh is really pushing for a booster and they are capable of following 'booster rules' so we are going to try it.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm not super comfortable with it as a full time solution, but if it ends up being what fits... I can't really think of another HBB that shallow.

carseatfreak

I have continued to research...a bit uncomfortable using the oobr unlatched. I came across a site that listed the boosters I have listed below as not requiring a vehicle headrest. They all look fairly shallow as far as external seating depth. I can't find good info on whether they allow overhang. Anyone have more info to add...any of these that won't really fit our requirements (no headrest/no latch/very shallow or allows overhang)?

1. Evenflo Big Kid
2. Britax Parkway
3. Recaro Vivo (looks like maybe you can't even buy these anymore)

aept

We have a vivo and it is shallow but I don't think you can buy it anymore and it needs vehicle headrest support anyways so wouldn't work for the center.

carseatfreak

Thank you both for the info. I am leaning towards a parkway but will have to order them since no one near me carries them.

Anybody know about the evenflo big kid? I read through the manual and don't see that it requires headrest (or does someone know otherwise). Does it allow overhang - couldn't find this either. I could pick one of these up locally to try before the parkway if they would be a good option.

deere2305

Hi
I don't have any idea for you but I have a question for you if you could answer
Did you have have that truck with a new born car seat if so what did you have

Keeyamah

Reading the manual for my Amp/Big Kid Sport, which is different than the Big Kid, it doesn't specifically state anything about the booster not having any overhang. I would call the company, the number on the back of my manual is 1-800-233-5921, 8-5 eastern time.

Oh, and mine does not require headrest support.

carseatfreak

Here is the reply I received back from Evenflo (just for reference for others):

Hello Amanda,

I thank you for your email regarding the Evenflo Big Kid booster seat.

I am happy to assist you. Yes, it is safe to put the high back booster seat where there is not a headrest. As long as 80% of the booster seat is on the vehicle, that is fine. Should you need any further assistance, please contact Evenflo ParentLink at 1-800-233-5921. We are available to take your call Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST.

Thank you for contacting Evenflo ParentLink. I appreciate the time you took to email us.​

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The Parkway seat bottom is pretty shallow. That would be my pick to try. HTH

Ya that's what I think too. Can you get a seat depth measurement? Our Parkways fits fantastic in our truck but it's larger, a SuperCrew, not sure what Chevy calls it, but the model with 4 full doors and full sized rear seating area. But if you can get me the depth measurement, at least the seat style is likely comparable since truck back seats are more upright at the seat back and such. I can measure how mine sits then and hopefully better guesstimate if it would work for you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC