HBB REcommendations

JLYGirl

Hi,

I'm looking for some recommendations for new HBB (our Britax Frontiers need to be replaced due to an accident). Here are some details/considerations:

- both kids are 6yo
- DD is 60lb, DS is 45-50lb, both 48"+
- prefer a LATCH HBB, so that we don't need to buckle the seats when they're not being used
- re: the car, we may get our RAV4 back, or we may have to get a new one; it'll probably be a Toyota, but not sure which one (are HBBs as car-dependent as convertible seats? I remember having to try out different ones when we were shopping for convertibles)
- the kids found the Frontiers comfortable, but I had a very hard time buckling them in (using the seat belts). Are there HBBs are easier to do up the seatbelts? Would narrower ones help in this regard? Are there ones with arm rests that will fold up? DD is a bit "wider", so I also need to make sure she can fit in the seat for as long as possible.
- the insurance company will be paying for these seats, so in terms of budget, something comparable to the Britax Frontier will work

I dropped by a store, and the sales lady recommended the Peg Perego Viaggio HBB 120. Should we go with that, just replace the Frontiers, or go for something else?

Thanks in advance for you advice & expertise!

ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Your choices are going to depend entirely on what vehicle you end up with -- booster choice is extremely dependent not only on the vehicle, but the child. With boosters it's all about belt fit -- and what works for one child may not work for the other.

High back boosters with lower anchors are:
- Peg booster
- Graco Affix
- Diono Monterey
- Britax Parkway SGL (the SG doesn't have the (L) latching feature)
- Clek Oobr

The Monterey is probably the widest in the hip area, although I haven't used a newest Parkways to compare offhand. The Peg booster is short. The Affix is similar in width to the Turbo but has a much deeper seat pan.

My tall and slim 7 year old prefers the Monterey but it and the Peg both require a vehicle head restraint behind it, meaning you can't remove the vehicle head rest/restraint if it's interfering with how the booster sits.

Can you go seat shopping together and try some out? Have your kids sit in them?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC