Question Locking clip in Denmark

littleclimber

Hello, I have a fairly urgent question about how to find a locking clip in Denmark. I researched car seat safety before our trip here and my Danish husband and I decided it was safer to bring our own car seat. Unfortunately, we did not know that the seatbelts here in Denmark do not have the correct locking ability! We need a locking clip and have no idea where to get one here.

We rented a car and as an emergency measure, rented a Danish infant seat in hopes it would be safer than ours which we can't use without a locking belt or clip. It's not safe - I'm actually kind of horrified that this is how infants are transported here. There is no belt lock or clamp built in and there is 4-6 inches of movement at the belt path.

Our son is 8 months and 8.1kg. We brought his Chicco Keyfit 30, but did not bring the base (which would have solved this problem). He is slightly too small for us to go purchase a new good seat here as they all seem to start at 9 kg. A new seat would also cost us about $400-450, which is a heavy hit to our budget.

So....anyone know where I can find a locking clip ASAP? We are in Copenhagen and could also possibly make it to Malmö, Sweden if necessary.
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Try checking baby stores for a ”gated h-clip.” I believe Britax sells them as accessories there and possibly other brands, even though they are usually attached to seats there, in case they are lost...

_juune

We rented a car and as an emergency measure, rented a Danish infant seat in hopes it would be safer than ours which we can't use without a locking belt or clip. It's not safe - I'm actually kind of horrified that this is how infants are transported here. There is no belt lock or clamp built in and there is 4-6 inches of movement at the belt path.
What seat did you get? Could it be that it's not installed correctly [if it's the carrier only without base or if the base doesn't have a load leg does the seatbelt's diagonal part go all the way around the seat as all Euro seats require]? That sounds like a lot of movement.

U

Unregistered

What seat did you get? Could it be that it's not installed correctly [if it's the carrier only without base or if the base doesn't have a load leg does the seatbelt's diagonal part go all the way around the seat as all Euro seats require]? That sounds like a lot of movement.

The seat is an Apramo Gaia. I have followed directions as shown and also used techniques I was taught for our own seat to try to secure the belt as tight as possible. The shoulder part of the seatbelt is correctly looped around the back but it is still so loose.
Posted via Mobile Device

Adventuredad

Sorry you can't find a locking clip. Please don't confuse a locking clip with better safety. A locking clip does affect safety. There is no need for a locking clip with the seats we use in Europe.

Never heard of the infant seat you are using but installation is standard in pretty much all infant seats without a base. You place the lap part of the belt across the front an then thread the rest around the seat. Done.

Infant seats installed with a belt will move more than with an Isofix base but safety is still just as great. In an accident the seat belt with immediately lock and hold the car seat.

littleclimber

Thanks for the answer, AdventureDad. We went to a baby store here and they were able to help us get it a little tighter using a special trick of up and down movement. It still moves about 3" at the belt path. The seat itself is so flimsy that it feels very unsafe compared to our Chicco - that's why we were preferring to use a locking clip with our own seat.

Still haven't found a locking clip (gated h clip) here in Copenhagen. My husband now wants to drive to Malmö to buy an Axkid Minikid but can't find it in stock yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC