Cars that cannot safely have a car seat

BiffRuffle

A friend was telling me a couple weeks ago that there are some models available that one cannot safely and properly install a car seat. She didn't recall the models/brands. Since my wife and I are currently looking for a new-to-us vehicle, I was wondering if anyone knew of any vehicles that prevented a RF seat from being installed safely?

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
A friend was telling me a couple weeks ago that there are some models available that one cannot safely and properly install a car seat. She didn't recall the models/brands. Since my wife and I are currently looking for a new-to-us vehicle, I was wondering if anyone knew of any vehicles that prevented a RF seat from being installed safely?

Most current vehicles will be able to have a seat installed safely in some position. Some trucks without airbag shut off keys or backseats may not be suitable for rfing seats.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
If you list the types of vehicles that you are considering, some folks on here may be able to give you additional info on compatibility. Most vehicles can accommodate some type of seat of each type -- it's usually a matter of SPECIFIC child (age, size)/seat (width, height, angle)/vehicle (space, seat depth, belt and tether locations) incompatibility rather than GENERAL incompatibility between the vehicle and all child seats.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
There are also a few sports cars or other very small cars that either have no back seat or have back seats so small it's nearly impossible (or actually impossible) to install car seats. Some of those disallow rear-facing car seats in the front.

But any typical "family" car should be fine, in general.

AllieK

I can tell you from experience the Ford Mustang is pretty hard to get a car seat installed in! My husband had a 2010 and we tried to install a Graco Snugride base & a Britax Marathon RF and neither worked. The back seat is just very small & very bucketed. Needless to say we no longer own that car! :p

BiffRuffle

Thanks, all! I was hoping there'd be some we could remove from consideration... but the net is still awfully wide. We currently have an 01 Chev Impala that's rapidly falling apart, and our stroller barely fits in the trunk - basically, it's either stroller or luggage. It's just my wife, myself and our 11 month son, in a Graco Click Connect 35 RF seat. We're looking for something newer and with ample cargo space, probably a small SUV or crossover or hatchback/wagon... so our vehicle options are overwhelming right now.

jess71903

Ambassador
Hi and welcome to car-seat.org! Can you give us a price and year range? I'll tell you that you will probably have better luck with people room with a sedan rather than a small SUV. Some of them are seriously small on the inside. We fared well with 2 kids with a stroller and luggage + hunting and/or fishing gear in an Explorer. Mine was an '06. They updated to the new body style in 2011 I think. I currently have an '05 Expedition, but I'm gathering that that's more than what you're looking for.

BiffRuffle

Ideally, we'd like a vehicle that would have a purchase price that works out to about $1000/year, assuming a 15 year vehicle life-span. So, for instance, a 2010 for $10,000, an 08 for $8000, etc. I think the most we could do is probably $12000, so probably something between an 07 or so and a 2012. So, our choices are very wide

thepote

A good place to start as you look at used car listings would be with crash test ratings. The crashworthiness of the car is your first line of defense.

Www.iihs.org and www.safercar.gov are the websites for that. They both crash test cars and looking at both sets of results on a particular car will give you a good idea of it's safety.

AllieK

A 2014 or 2015 Kia Soul might be worth looking into. It's about $15k new and the 2015 is an IIHS top safety pick. It has tons of legroom, hatch back and nice trunk/storage space. I have 2 mommy friends who have this vehicle, one of them fits her double stroller in the trunk easily and the other can fit her dog's crate, stroller and diaper bag back there.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC