Rear ended, what seats to get?

YouAreTheFocus

I was rear ended today with both seats & kids in the car. We are all ok, just a little sore. DS is 5.5 and in a NextFit, DD is 8 mos in a Graco bucket. Everyone is happy with their current seats, but I'm thinking at this point DS should go to some sort of booster and DD to a convertible? Just for some background DS RF'd in the NextFit until he was 4 yrs 10 mos, we only flipped him because DD was coming along.

So, I'm sort of tempted to just get two NextFits, as they seem to last kids a long time in both directions, but I haven't looked at seats in ~2 yrs so I don't know what else has come up. And I know nothing about boosters, so would like advice if you think it's wiser to get DS into a booster at this point (harnessed or belted?). In case it factors in, we do not have drop off lines at school, we have to take DS out and walk him inside.

DS is somewhere around 44" and 43 lbs, DD maybe 28" and 18 lbs. We have a VW Passat and prefer to have the kids next to each other.

Many thanks if you got this far! :)

ADS

aept

Sorry about your accident, but glad you are ok! I would be shopping for a convertible for baby and a forward facing combination seat (harness to booster) for DS, if I were in your shoes.
I would not go straight to a dedicated booster for your DS (just because I personally prefer to harness to 6.5ish years) but there's also not much point in getting him another convertible since he is done RF.
The Nextfit is still highly recommended/regarded so feel free to get the baby one if you like that. I'm not sure on which combo seat would fit side by side. Can you get to a store to try anything out in your car?

YouAreTheFocus

Thanks! I will look at the combination seats. I agree about keeping him harnessed longer. I don't want the accident to force him to move up to something we wouldn't have used otherwise. Are there any that are known for being narrower? I can get to Target, BRU, baby stores, etc.

brooksfamily

I'm pretty sure the Harmony Defender is the narrowest combination seat on the market.

Narrow convertibles are the Foonf/Floo, Dionos (minus the Rainer), and Graco Clones although I don't know how well those puzzle with a Defender.

I'm not familiar with your car. I don't know if it would be necessary to need both a narrow convertible and a narrow combination seat, or if you could go with say a Frontier/Nautilius and a narrow convertible, or a Defender and then the convertible of your choice.

Hopefully someone else can chime in.

2BunniesMommy

I would for sure get the baby a convertible at this point. If you love the NextFit, no reason to get something else. Either one for each kiddo or go ahead and get a harness to booster for your son. I have and love Britax Frontier 90 for the click tight, but that is far from narrow. I am also a fan of the Nautilus. The Harmony others mentioned is narrow, but doesn't really seem to be well liked.

mom of six

I like my Defender. I love that it is narrow. I was a Radian user before getting the defender. It fits my tallish 4.5 year old really well. He still has one harness height adjustment left. I have done LATCH and seat belt installs and do not have a problem with either. It has a "recline" feature that is really meant to assist in getting the car seat to match the angles of the vehicle seat. Very helpful in achieving a tight install.

My only complaint...the headrest rattles.

I have never installed a Nextfit but I have seen one. With the profile of the defender I think it would puzzle really well with a RF NextFit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC