Saftey 1st Advance EX, have one?

bnsnyde

Anyone have one? The new 50 lb. RF seat?

WHAT is that buckle that hangs off the back of the seat? It's black with a rectangle. Looks like the back of a crotch strap buckle, but I don't think it is. I can't see it connects to anything. It hangs loose all the time. Right under splitter plate.

I cannot tighten or loosen my seat well at all. And I wonder if this THING hanging in back there is affecting things? The splitter plate glides over it or gets pushed to the side, and this whole smooth mechanism just isn't happenig.

I called the company but they didn't have a seat in front of them (too new).

I am just wondering what that part is, and why I cannot tighten or loosen. I don't think my seat is defective (they are replacing it). Really I don't want to install a new seat again. I just want to figure out what about the design is catching, or if I am doing something wrong.

Or, if it's just a pain to tighten...to mentally try to accept that! :)

I tried pulling the straps from the back (it's RF), but there does not seem to be a magic fix. Frequently I cannot loosen it at all! And to tighten it...I am not super human. It's nearly impossible. DH mentioned how he cannot either.

Love the seat and that my tall girl can RF. But it's hard to go anywhere dealing with this issue, when I have 6 seats to check each trip. To spend that much energy and time on one seat, whew!

ADS

SNAmama

Anyone have one? The new 50 lb. RF seat? WHAT is that buckle that hangs off the back of the seat? It's black with a rectangle. Looks like the back of a crotch strap buckle, but I don't think it is. I can't see it connects to anything. It hangs loose all the time. Right under splitter plate. I cannot tighten or loosen my seat well at all. And I wonder if this THING hanging in back there is affecting things? The splitter plate glides over it or gets pushed to the side, and this whole smooth mechanism just isn't happenig.

That's what the top tether is attached to. On my Dorel seats it also gets in the way but I know on the Scenera Next it can sort of be clipped into 2 small plastic "tongs" to hold it in place. I can't remember if it had that type of "slot" on the back of the Advanced Air - but pull the top tether strap to pull the metal against the seat and then try to adjust the harness. If they makes sense (I can try to do photo/video...)

lgenne

I removed the tether from my Scenera NEXT. I figured if I ever use it FF it will be on an airplane where it can't be tethered anyway. You'd just have to hang onto it and put it back in if you ever decide to use it FF.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I find it very easy to loosen and pretty easy to tighten. I found it's harder if the straps are lower than they need to be, but certainly nothing that requires superhuman strength. I imagine your harness is caught on something.

I haven't noticed any rectangles hanging off the back of mine, but tomorrow I'll take a look at the tether to see what mine's doing.

lgenne

It probably depends on where the splitter plate lines up with the tether...what's that part called? The rectangle that anchors the strap into the slot.

bnsnyde

Hmmm...I wonder what is caught where.

I guess I'm getting a new seat sent but I want to make sure it doesn't have the same problem.

SNAmama

Hmmm...I wonder what is caught where. I guess I'm getting a new seat sent but I want to make sure it doesn't have the same problem.
usually the splitter plate is getting stuck under the tether's bracket (metal rectangle piece) if it's at just the right spot... Also try to play with the headrest, without a child in the seat, loosen the harness all the way, raise the headrest all the way, tighten harness, lower headrest... Make sure everything is flowing smoothly.

bnsnyde

I discovered that when loosening, the harness is often totally 100% stuck. I can put my hand around the back of the RF seat and fix this, but I wish it didn't happen! Not sure for FF what I'd do.

As for tightening, nothing works well.
I do have the replacement seat and will see, but I think for now we're replacing with the Clek Fllo full-time since I know it fits there (should be easier to climb into), and well...we don't need the super high limits right now anyway. But we can switch things up when the time comes if needed. I think the Safety 1st looks to cradle the child with much more SIP though. But the Fllo would go in the middle so it's not a huge concern for me.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC