Question Best backless booster for petites? (needed asap)

Athena

Best backless booster for small 7 year old?

I'm usually focused on boosters that fit bigger kids, but we have some smaller friends, one of whom will be riding with us this week. I want to make sure I have at least one good, safe option for her. I currently have the Cosco Topside and PKWY (backless) as options.

If neither fit smaller kids well and I should buy something, it must be narrow enough for 3 across. I've been looking for an excuse to get a second bubblebum ;), but I'd have to order today. Or is there another option that fits smaller booster riders consistently really well, well enough to buy solely for these occasions?

Thank you!!!

ADS

sirrahn

Harmony youth booster if it puzzles with your other seats. It was always a fabulous fit on my petite dd.

mping

My 7 yo is 36lbs and the Harmony boosters fit him great. Specifically the smaller one from Walmart. I don't remember the name. Literider I think. It has flames on it :)

Athena

Okay, so that's 3 votes for a Harmony youth. Consistency is good. :) (I think it used to be the literider and is now called the youth.)

No one wants me to get that nice new BB? :eek:

I think I can get my hands on a Harmony youth in time (if Walmart's website stops malfunctioning and tells me if my store has it in stock :mad:).

Athena

Youth Booster, or Turbo as a backup option.

Any advantage of turbo over youth?

I've found for bigger kids, the turbo's larger arms work better (versus tiny youth arms that might not stick out far enough for belt to secure under well on a bigger kid), but not sure what else there might be.

Thanks!

Athena

My 7 yo is 36lbs and the Harmony boosters fit him great. Specifically the smaller one from Walmart. I don't remember the name. Literider I think. It has flames on it :)

Thinking about it, I realized she might not be as small as I made it sound. She's actually over 40 pounds, but she seemed really small to me. For over 40 pounds, is the Harmony literider/youth still what you all would recommend?

At this point, I think all our friends are over 40 pounds, not that it's a bad idea to have an option for under 40 just in case. But if her being a bit bigger than you might have thought changes your recommendation for which booster would most likely fit her well, please, please please let me know right away. If you still say the Harmony, I can get my hands on one tomorrow, no worries.

Thank you!!!

Keeyamah

If you'd just come and said you needed a backless for 3 across for a bunch of 7 yr olds, then the Harmony would still have been on the list, near if not at the top :).

rachelandtyke

I would still say Harmony Youth or Turbo, but if you really need an excuse for another BB, then I'd say a BB would be great for a 3 across! ;)

mping

I love the LIterider and the Cruz for all kids! I had a 75-80lb 9 yo in the Cruz the other day who is probably 4'8". And my 36lb 7 yo fits nicely in it too.

Athena

Thanks for the responses! The consistency makes things easier. Out of curiosity, who does the topside usually fit well? I got one that we've only used once and now I'm trying to remember why we got it. :eek:

I do like to have options for differently sized kids, but it helps to know which is best for which type of kid, so I have the right one(s) on hand. And since I don't have a bunch of kids in varying sizes to try them all out with... :D Thanks! This thread has been very helpful!

If you'd just come and said you needed a backless for 3 across for a bunch of 7 yr olds, then the Harmony would still have been on the list, near if not at the top :).

Good to know! Sounds like it's a good option to have on hand in general.

I would still say Harmony Youth or Turbo, but if you really need an excuse for another BB, then I'd say a BB would be great for a 3 across! ;)

:)

I love the LIterider and the Cruz for all kids! I had a 75-80lb 9 yo in the Cruz the other day who is probably 4'8". And my 36lb 7 yo fits nicely in it too.

Curious, how different is the Cruz? They don't make that one anymore, right? The youth doesn't look to me like it'd fit bigger kids well, but maybe it does?

krasota

My 8yo prefers the Harmony youth to our Graco turbo, but I'm positive it's because the Youth has flames on it. ;)

rachelandtyke

I think the topside is narrow and fits petite kids well like the Harmony, but we didn't go for it because DD1 was going to use it without me around, and I didn't want her confused and flustered by the different instructions for belt routing.

sirrahn

Curious, how different is the Cruz? They don't make that one anymore, right? The youth doesn't look to me like it'd fit bigger kids well, but maybe it does?

The Cruz is quite a bit deeper. DD2 stopped using the literider and switched to the Cruz in DH's car recently just for better leg support. She's still pretty petite....maybe 55lbs and on the shorter side for a 10 yr old. Belt fit was still good with the literider, but we're in the car a lot for her travel soccer team and the Cruz is more comfortable for her now.

I don't know if they're still available. I think mine expires next year, but if DD can make it to 60lbs, I'll just let her use our Incognito at that point. Wow it will be weird to have everyone out of seats!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Athena

My 8yo prefers the Harmony youth to our Graco turbo, but I'm positive it's because the Youth has flames on it. ;)

:)

I think the topside is narrow and fits petite kids well like the Harmony, but we didn't go for it because DD1 was going to use it without me around, and I didn't want her confused and flustered by the different instructions for belt routing.

But you think it's worth getting the youth when we already have the topside, right?

Good point about the confusing topside instructions. It's just the topside, incognito, and bubblebum that route the lap belt only (without the shoulder belt) through the guide (under seat arm/through seat clip), right? No others I'm missing? It is confusing and something I try to keep track of, especially for these spare/travel seats for which I could go months between uses.

Speaking of which, it's likely I won't have time to read the youth manual before the first use. (I know very bad. :eek:) Anything special I need to know?

rachelandtyke

Nothing unique about the Youth, but of course you should always RTM. :)

The belt guide comes attached and is under the eat cover. DD1 is 50 lbs and 50 in and does not need it in any of the vehicles she has ridden in.

I guess you don't NEED to get a Youth if you have the Topside and can get everyone in with that, but it might be handy to have since different boosters play better together than others. It is more economical as an extra than a BB.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC