Graco Turbo Booster safe for my 4 year old?

U

Unregistered

We have purchased my 4 year old daughter the PD194386A Graco Turbo Booster w/ safety surround. She is 43 pounds and 43 inches tall. It seems to fit her perfect and our cars safety belt seems to fit exactly where it should on her and the seat. I have two concerns. Is it ok that the back of the seat leans forward with her when we brake hard? Also, is she old enough to be in this booster or does she still need to be in a 5 point harness? According to the manual she is well in the age, weight and height requirements, but some individual reviewers and websites say a 5 point harness is still needed at 4 years old. She's certainly the size and body strength of an average 5 year old but now I'm worried. : /

ADS
Hi! For the most part, we as techs recommend that kids stay harnessed until about 5-6 years old, because most 4 year olds lack the maturity to remain properly positioned.
Boosters put all of the responsibility of staying in position on the rider, and most 4 year olds are still pretty impulsive and will slouch, lean, slide, or wiggle out of position. You know your child best, and if you think that they can stay in the proper position 100% of the time, it is up to you to have your child riding in a properly fitting booster.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Give her a few more rides and see how she behaves. Sits still, stays upright when sleeping, etc. In a couple of drives or so, she will get used to riding in a "moving" seat and it won't fly forward and sideways as much.
If you find you are reminding her *constantly* to sit properly, there are harnessed seats that should still fit her fine, like the Nautilus, Argos, Pioneer, Frontier, or Secure Kid.
Sometimes I still have to threaten my own kids with harnesses and tell them to get their knees off the airbag in the dashboard; it's a lifelong endeavor to keep them safe in a seatbelt, instead of in a harness where they can't move.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC