Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Travel Seats

Travel Seats

Can anyone recommend lightweight seats to use on plane & in rental vehicle this summer? My stats are below:

2 yr old RF in foonf, 28lbs & 33 inches
    4 year old RF in foonf, 43 lbs & 40 inches
    6 year old FF harnessed Pinnacle, 56 lbs & 48 inches
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Travel Seats

Scenera, Maestro and a HBB (turbo booster).
    Melissa

DD#1, April 2004, FFg in a Pink Harmony Literider & Onyx Parkway SG
    DD#2, January 2007, FFg in a Pink Monterey & Purple with Pink Hearts HBTB

Riding in my 2010 Toyota RAV4 and DH's 2011 Ford 150 Crew Cab

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    Scenera, Maestro and a HBB (turbo booster).
    thank you! Can the 4 year old rear face in the Maestro & can the 6 year old be harnessed in the HBB? I don't actually know what HBB stands for. Sorry!! He's my oldest so I have not explored the world of boosters yet.
    Posted via Mobile Device

No, the Maestro is a FFg only seat but at 43lbs I don't think there are any lightweight seats that RF at those weights

HBB is a belt positioning seat that does not have a harness, it positions the vehicle seatbelt. Again, there are no lightweight options in the harnessed category for children of that weight. I would absolutely have a 6yo (assuming no special needs) learn to use a booster precisely for travel (& carpooling)
    Melissa

CPS Fanatic

I'd get a Scenera NEXT for the 2yo. S/he'll be able to RF a lot longer in it, and it's way easier to install.

The 4yo has outgrown all but a handful of RF seats on the market, and none are lightweight. The Maestro is FF only.

The Turbobooster does not have a harness. Unless the 6 yo has special needs, I'd start booster training.

Quote Originally Posted by lgenne View Post
    I'd get a Scenera NEXT for the 2yo. S/he'll be able to RF a lot longer in it, and it's way easier to install.

The 4yo has outgrown all but a handful of RF seats on the market, and none are lightweight. The Maestro is FF only.

The Turbobooster does not have a harness. Unless the 6 yo has special needs, I'd start booster training.
    I misspoke. I actually just wanted to know if there were seats on the market that weigh less than 50 lbs because I think that might be how much my foonfs weigh. I didn't mean they have to be considered lightweight. Would radians work? Did they have a name change??
    Posted via Mobile Device

CPS Fanatic

Travel Seats

A Radian (R120 or RXT) could work. They are pricey, and s/he'll outgrow them for rear facing very soon, and they require all these extra parts for RF. although they do fold flat, which can be nice for travel. Diono does have some new seats that go up to 50 pounds, but they're even bigger and work less well for 3 across scenarios.

Does your 4 year old have any special needs? Are you just nervous about FF?

For the 6 year old, if you really want to harness, the Evenflo Sureride could work.

(Edited to remove a nonsensical "won't")
    Last edited by lgenne; 05-03-2015 at 02:53 PM.

I used RNs as my travel seats but only because I had them and they were incompatible with my then-vehicle. They are NOT lightweight, need parts for RFg, and aren't easy to install in some rental vehicles. They are great on the plane FFg tho.

If I were purchasing new seats exclusively for travel, the RN wouldn't be on my list.
    Melissa