E Z On plus booster seat??? please help!!

hollyl606

I need and am going to get the E Z On for my son. He's 6.5 years old 70 lbs 48". He's autistic and climbs out of the harness so he still needs to be in a harness. I asked the lady at E Z On if I would use the vest plus a booster seat (for head support) she said I can but I have to find out from the manufacturer if it's ok.

Can someone please help me and direct me in the right direction. I have no idea what seat to get. And do you think he would be ok without a booster?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
At his age it's almost certain he needs a booster for belt fit. I believe only Diono officially approve their boosters with an 86-y. Is that what you'll be using?

While others may not officially approve it, using one anyway is a decision I'd be very comfortable making with my own kids if needed, if a Diono booster won't work for you. lap belt fit is really important for safety.

Have you looked into getting a special needs car seat approved by insurance? If this is a long term need I'd look into that.

The.Britax Frontier Clicktight might also be an option for you.

hollyl606

I'm getting the EZ on 103z. I was thinking about the special needs seat but I think it will take too long. Right now the harness straps are AT his shoulders.

The Diono seat, that would work?

right now he's in a Britax Frontier 85. How's that one with the vest?

At his age it's almost certain he needs a booster for belt fit. I believe only Diono officially approve their boosters with an 86-y. Is that what you'll be using?

While others may not officially approve it, using one anyway is a decision I'd be very comfortable making with my own kids if needed, if a Diono booster won't work for you. lap belt fit is really important for safety.

Have you looked into getting a special needs car seat approved by insurance? If this is a long term need I'd look into that.

The.Britax Frontier Clicktight might also be an option for you.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
A Frontier 85 is not going to work with the vest I don't think.

This is the difference between the Frontier 85 and 90 in the same seating position in my car, height-wise: http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=2583553&postcount=25 It's quite possible it would give you a lot of growth room depending on how the 85 installs.

A few months is the general time frame for a SN seat, if all goes well. Even an Evenflo Titan 65/SureRide might buy you that much time.

Diono only approves the 86-Y. The 103-Z doesn't need as much help with belt positioning as I recall. I'm not sure how anything would work with that vest actually, it looks similar but not exactly the same. I'd think the same boosters would PROBABLY work. If you want official approval I'd start with Diono since they are the only ones who have done anything remotely approaching it.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Really dumb question, but is your headrest all the way up on the Frontier? Or is his height a typo? 48" seems very short to be at the top of the Frontier. I know kids come in all shapes, so of course it's possible, but it would ease your search for a couple months at least if you happen to have a little more height hidden back there.

I hope a solution is easy to find!

hollyl606

Yep its all the way up. Some one else asked me and I thought I was wrong so I double checked it. And yes, he's pretty much grown out.

[WQUOTE=joolsplus3;2866498]Really dumb question, but is your headrest all the way up on the Frontier? Or is his height a typo? 48" seems very short to be at the top of the Frontier. I know kids come in all shapes, so of course it's possible, but it would ease your search for a couple months at least if you happen to have a little more height hidden back there.

I hope a solution is easy to find![/QUOTE]

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The 85 loses a lot of height in many vehicles... Which is why the 90 might work.

I woke this morning and remembered he's over the titan 65 weight. Sorry about that!

bubbaray

Well, he's "at" the harness max, not over it, right? So technically, he hasn't *yet* outgrown the current seat. You have time.

I would get a SN seat. I can't remember who here is SN certified, other than safeinthecar.

I have heard of the Roosevelt and the Special Tomato. It looks like both Diono and Britax have SN seats too. I know nothing about the comparisons, but in the long term, taking the time now to go through the process of getting a SN seat authorization might be time well spent.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm SN certified. :)

With or without appeals, etc, it can usually take 3-8 months to get a seat, in my experience.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I absolutely agree. Because it may take time, I'd consider a vest or taller seat in the interim to avoid the situation of a kid outgrowing a seat overnight (which has absolutely happened to me. >_< ) (Also in case appeals stretch over a year or more, as sometimes happens.)

hollyl606

I might sound like a horrible mom, but is there a second option? I'm just going thru some personal battles with surgeries and stuff. I want my son to be 100% safe, but honestly I'm run down to the ground as it is. I can't be going back and forth with the insurance company.

I'm SN certified. :)

With or without appeals, etc, it can usually take 3-8 months to get a seat, in my experience.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
In some areas there are agencies that will do most of the fighting for you. In some there aren't. I don't know where you live or what's available there.

Are you working with a local special needs tech? You might get access to info about local resources that way.

The Frontier 90 (clicktight) would probably give you enough growth room to buy some time before starting the process. It's worth going and trying in your car at babies r us to see how he does anyway.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC