Question 3rd kid in 2006 Prius => boosters tilt

U

Unregistered

I have a 5 and a 7 year old who are both in Evenflo HHBs (seatbelted). They fit great in the back of my Prius (which I love and really don't want to replace). The back seat is pretty sculpted and I am really worried when we need to install a new rear facing convertible (preferbly a Britax Boulvard), that the boosters will not lay flat and will not be safe.

Any one have any experience with this older Prius with the bumpier back seats?

ADS

MelodyoftheForest

Sorry nobody has replied yet! I would probably go to a store where you can try a third seat in your car and see what happens. Maybe someone could suggest what to try who has more Prius experience now that I bumped your post.

cookie123

I have a 2011 Prius. Sadly I haven't done 3 across with anything but low back booster seats and the only thing that really worked in the middle was the Bubble Bum, which is super tiny. Do your seat belts overlap?

aept

We also have a 2011 Prius and I am not sure if it is any more or less bumpy/sculpted than yours.
We have done several 3-across installations but all have involved at least one Doino Radian. I do not think a Britax convertible is likely to fit with those boosters. It would probably fit with two bubblebum boosters but I would prefer not to use those everyday. If I were you Inwould want to try to keep the AMP boosters and find a slimmer convertible.

U

Unregistered

My husband tells me my car is actually a 2007. Here is a picture of the two booster seats we have now. And then with a Britax Roundabout in the center. The boosters do lean in about ten degrees. Even if they are still safe at that angle, they don't look comfortable and also seem impossible to buckle.
IMG_0917.JPG

IMG_0919.JPG

MelodyoftheForest

Have you tested any boosters with lower armrests and narrower backs? That could help. It sure doesn't seem like buckling would work, even with scooting the booster to buckle then scooting it back. Those armrests are just really wedged in there!

U

Unregistered

The seats aren't tipped because of the armrests, it's because the adult car seat is sloped.

I just cant see any way for two boosters and a convertible to fit in this Prius. It looks like we might have to start looking at other cars.

MelodyoftheForest

Oh, ok. I guess it probably isn't better with kids in the boosters, then. Different boosters could still help, it seems. I am not a booster expert, but a backless like the Harmony Youth has a more sculpted shape to the bottom that might play better with the shape of the seats. Maybe someone else knows of a highback with that kind of shape if you need the backs.

jedigurl

I don't want to give up on my Prius! I really love driving it and I feel like I am only 2 inches away from fitting in 3.

My next idea is to try a Cosco Juvenile Top Side Booster for my oldest, and a Diono Radian R100 Convertible for the 5 year old. (It will take a bit of convincing to get him back into a harness.)

But I have to buy both seats. I will post an update with a picture when that happens.

aept

I don't want to give up on my Prius! I really love driving it and I feel like I am only 2 inches away from fitting in 3. My next idea is to try a Cosco Juvenile Top Side Booster for my oldest, and a Diono Radian R100 Convertible for the 5 year old. (It will take a bit of convincing to get him back into a harness.) But I have to buy both seats. I will post an update with a picture when that happens.

The backless booster in the mix will help. I still think a slightly more narrow convertible is what is really needed. If you buy a radian try it rf for the baby with the amps.

If you love the Prius you can definitely make it work. Keep trying, you'll find the solution! :)

Also try convertible on the side (passenger probably) and backless in the middle and HBB behind driver.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC