Flying Solo on long international flight with toddler

U

Unregistered

Hello, I will be traveling alone on a long international flight with my 2 year old toddler. She is petite at 22-23 pounds, but average height at 33.5 inches. What carseats do you recommend? We expect to travel frequently in the next couple of years. I've considered the Combi Coccoro for its lightness, but unsure how quickly she'll hit the max rf height of 36 inches; also looked at Diono but reluctant about its heaviness; and most likely will be carrying a backpack and stroller- and also not sure how viable it would be to add a rolling carry on (hm, too much?).
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

lgenne

I wouldn't get a Coccoro for a kid that size.

Two to consider:

1) Scenera NEXT. Super lightweight, easy to install RF in just about any car (unless we're talking about foreign cars, in which case bets are off...) Doesn't come with a locking clip, so if you're traveling somewhere that doesn't reliably have LATCH/Isofix and/or switchable retractors on seat belts, grab one off another car seat. Outgrown at roughly the same time RF and FF (often outgrown first FF). It's likely to last no more than a couple years, but it's also only $44.
2) Safety 1st Guide 65. A bit harder to install RF, but lasts a lot longer FF. Can be used with a tray table on airplanes.

Useful link: http://carseatblog.com/most-popular-articles/

1mommy

I'll second the Scenera Next - personally I'd skip the Guide as its a bit finky to install rf and you don't want to be fooling around with noddles and a tough install after a long flight.

meljc

We're frequent travelers and have a CCO. If you have another child to pass it down to, it could be a nice option at the right price (ours was 150). My baby now uses it as a daily ride. But if she's your last/only I'd get the Scenera NEXT and put the extra money toward a tablet to keep her entertained during the flight :dance:

brooksfamily

In your situation I'd go for a Next. Diono's are heavy and it would be tough to manage a stroller, a rolling cart and a toddler unless you check the stroller and use the rolling cart/carseat combo as your stroller in the airport. I know some toddlers can tow their own seat, but if I was flying solo it's probably not a risk I would take.

If you had a light seat you can hang it from your stroller. I've flown solo with my daughter multiple times and always find that the less things I have to manage through security and the airport the better. But that's is my preference.

A Next is so affordable you can buy that and another light ffing seat (when she outgrows it) for less than a Cocorro or Diono.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC