Convertible Seat for 2nd Car and Travel

U

Unregistered

Hi,

I've spent HOURS researching and still don't know the answer -- is there one?

I'm looking for a convertible car seat that will fit in our 2008 Acura RDX (secondary car), can be taken on airplanes, and will be small enough to fit in most full sized rental cars. My son is nearly two, and has been 50th percentile for height and weight.

Here are my priorities, with the most important being first:
-- Fits in many small cars
-- Fits comfortably in airplane seats (ff or rf)
-- Rear-facing till at least 40 lbs (he's about 28 lbs now)
-- Easy to install and uninstall
-- Lightweight
-- Easy to use/adjust
-- Cost

The Diono's seem like good options if you get the angle adjuster, but they are SO HEAVY. Is there a quality seat that's small in depth and lightweight?

Many thanks,
Ronna

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Hi,

I've spent HOURS researching and still don't know the answer -- is there one?

I'm looking for a convertible car seat that will fit in our 2008 Acura RDX (secondary car), can be taken on airplanes, and will be small enough to fit in most full sized rental cars. My son is nearly two, and has been 50th percentile for height and weight.

Here are my priorities, with the most important being first:
-- Fits in many small cars
-- Fits comfortably in airplane seats (ff or rf)
-- Rear-facing till at least 40 lbs (he's about 28 lbs now)
-- Easy to install and uninstall
-- Lightweight
-- Easy to use/adjust
-- Cost

The Diono's seem like good options if you get the angle adjuster, but they are SO HEAVY. Is there a quality seat that's small in depth and lightweight?

Many thanks,
Ronna

The Diono is heavy, but it's pretty easy to travel with. I don't carry it, I put mine on a rolling luggage cart and let my kid pull it herself. I personally wouldn't use it rear facing on a plane; too much hassle. But you can pack the rear-facing boot and the angle adjuster in your luggage and use it forward facing on the plane. Some people have successfully made it RF on a plane, but others have not been able to make it work.

You could go with something like a Cosco Scenera NEXT which is super lightweight, and only about $45 at Walmart. It fits well RF on planes and in most vehicles. It may not get your child all the way to 40 lbs RF, since it has a 40" height limit. But for the price most people can deal with choosing another seat later when the child is older and gets too big for it.

U

Unregistered

The Scenera Next seems like a really good option. We have three airplane trips planned already in the next year, so even if my son only fits until the third trip next January, it'll be worth the $45 for the seat.

Many thanks!

I will second Brigala and say that the Scenera NEXT would be an excellent bet. It is cost-effective (which does NOT affect its safety!), compact and light. Sounds like a perfect fit for your situation :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC