Meeting w/ families to install seats?

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
hey everyone. I had a quick question... (which turned into a novel LOL)

Let me preface this by saying- I"m super uncomfortable with having families come to my house. Any type of family. I'm a bit of a protective freak about my "identity" and personal lilfe, no one knows my address and where I live. People know general vacinities and whatnot, but not specifics. My tech address online is a PO Box and my cell phone is my primary listed phone on the website so that can't be traced (if it did, it'd just go to my PO Box anyways LOL).

So where does everyone meet their families? Do they come to your house? Do you go to theirs? Do you meet in public? If you meet anywhere, where is it? I was thinking a park seemed like a great idea.

I really have no intention of driving to meet this family. Maybe go halfway, but that's about it. I'm overscheduled as it is and they live an hour away in a place i've heard of but i'm not familiar with at all. I just can't afford the gas to be perfectly honest. It doesn't help that I can't find my way out of a paper bag either. I really don't mean to sound rude and i'm more than happy to help out any family. I just don't know where to meet thats in my personal comfort zone. :eek:

Last edited:
ADS

mominabigtruck

Well, to be honest I'm a little confused. If you don't want them coming to your house and you don't want to go to their house it doesn't leave a whole lot of options open. I suppose you could do it in a mall or walmart parking lot but personally I'd feel a little weird, not to mention that where are the kids supposed to be safely while you check their seats.

Laurenc0101

I was thinking a park seemed like a great idea.

I am not a tech, but this sounds like a good idea to me. That way you are not in a parking lot and maybe you can request the family bring along grandma or a sitter to entertain the children while you show mom and/or dad how to install the seats. Then when you are ready for the children, you can call them over. If they are not planning on bringing the children along, a parking lot could be an okay place (Wal-Marts and such typically have surveillance cameras). FWIW, I would not want people coming to my home either. I would probably even bring along my own friend to sit in the car and observe just to keep things as safe as possible.

Hope you find a resolution :)

cpsaddict

Honestly, I have had many families come to my home for installs. I run out to meet them when they pull in. I became a tech to reach out to as many families as possible and if that means they meet me in my driveway or I drive to meet them, then that's what I do. I really don't want to sound mean or brush off your concerns, but if someone is that concerned about their childs safety, I tend to think they will not come back to your home to harm you.
I guess meeting somewhere to install it would be ok, since they live so far away, but I too would be concerned about how to keep young ones safe in parking lot. How can they pay close attention to you, when they are trying to pay attention to their kids? :confused:

Maybe I am way to lax on these things, but then again I am very rural.

skaterbabs

I typically meet parents in "safe" parking lots - ones where I know the traffic patterns are not going to cause a problem. Commonly I meet parents at USA Baby or BRU. I don't want people to come over to my house either, but that's more because we're slobs. lol

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
I guess meeting somewhere to install it would be ok, since they live so far away, but I too would be concerned about how to keep young ones safe in parking lot. How can they pay close attention to you, when they are trying to pay attention to their kids? :confused:

I do see what you're saying, but this doesn't sound like a mom who sought me out to install a seat for her. I just got a call from her and she has no idea why she even needs to meet with me to get the seat. She thought it was going to be shipped directly to her.

I don't live in a very rural area and most of the time, it's just me and my daughter at home. I don't have anyone here to theoretically "protect" me if something were to happen. I unfortunately have to deal with less than stellar members of society occasionally so maybe that has really changed my viewpoint about safety issues.

I never take my daughter to checks, ever. I can't keep my eye on her and try to teach parents at the same time. I haven't even attempted because I know it would never work. Usually when I help out parents, the mom is there with me learning and the dad is watching the kids. I've done a few at our local library because it's got a really safe parking lot with a park adjacent to it which really helps out. I was just asking to see if anyone else had any suggestions about a better place to do them.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I do not let clients come to my house either. Infact my address is not even listed on SK or my business cars. It just has the city and state.

I usually meet them at thier house. I would meet at a park too. Most parking lots are very busy, so I would be concerned with traffic, but would meet there if that is what the client wanted.

amy919

Quite frankly, I'd be equally concerned about meeting at my house OR their house. I'd rather be in a public place where I feel comfortable. I'm not a tech, but our local police station has a HUGE parking lot with plenty of room with no traffic other than police cars. If it were me, I'd call them and ask to do it there.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC