Graco Differences - Canadian 'SafeSeat' & 'SafeSeat Step 1'

U

Unregistered

Hi:

Could someone help me figure out the differences between the Graco (Canada) "SafeSeat", and the "SafeSeat Step 1"? I have seen references to both on this website and sometimes I am unable to tell which one the poster is actually referring to. Is one of these generally considered 'better' than the other? If not 'better', are there advantages/disadvantages? On the Graco Canada Website it seems that the 'SafeSeat' is the newer version of the two, but I am not sure? Thank-you for your help.

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Canada doesn't have a Safeseat 2 like the US does, so many of us forget to add the Safeseat 1 on to the name because the safeseat is only an infant carrier here & couldn't be mixed up with the ff'ing seat available in the US. ;) The box in Canada does say Safe Seat step 1 just like the US though.

Neither is better than the other, and they're probably the identical seat. The FMVSS 213 one is only legal for use in the US, and the CMVSS 213 one is only legal for use in Canada. You have to use a seat that bears the national safety mark of whichever country you live in. :thumbsup:

So when we're discussing them, they're the same seat. Technically they have the same name in both countries, us Canucks just tend to drop the 1 off the name sometimes. But you have to buy your seat in whatever country you live in & use one with the appropriate stickers.

eta: The SS1 is the newest carrier from Graco. The other carriers you'd be seeing online from Graco are snugrides. Personally, I think the SS1 is the better deal - you get more use from it because of the higher weight and length limits, and you can get it on sale for close to the same price as you'd pay for an up front adjusting snugride. Having used both, I much prefer the SS1 over the snugride, but it all depends on what you're looking for. My ds outgrew the snugride before he was 6mos old, he has about 3/4" or growing room left in his SS1 although we moved him to the Radian about 6wks ago. :)

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Canada doesn't have a Safeseat 2 like the US does, so many of us forget to add the Safeseat 1 on to the name because the safeseat is only an infant carrier here & couldn't be mixed up with the ff'ing seat available in the US. ;) The box in Canada does say Safe Seat step 1 just like the US though.

Really?:confused:? Sears had carried the SS2 in one of their catelogues, I think last year selling it for $199.

I thought that Graco was going to be using the step system to help "not" confuse people and to know what was an appropriate step to be at :confused: (ie. SS1, SS1 and step 3 was a booster)

tel_76

Hi thx for your reply (I have since registered so that I can respond). Sorry - but I am still a little confused. On the Graco Canada website, both the 'SafeSeat' and the 'SafeSeat 1' are listed. The "SafeSeat' seems to have a more lengthy description, which makes it seem it is the newer of the two.

This is for the SafeSeat™ Infant Car Seat Pattern G:
http://www.graco.net/e/item.asp?code=6672&s=0200CAA

This is for the SafeSeat™ Step 1 Car Seat - French Roast
http://www.graco.net/e/item.asp?code=8382&s=0200CAA

Why is one labeled Step 1, and the other is not, yet both are SafeSeat?

Thanks again.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Really?:confused:? Sears had carried the SS2 in one of their catelogues, I think last year selling it for $199.

I thought that Graco was going to be using the step system to help "not" confuse people and to know what was an appropriate step to be at :confused: (ie. SS1, SS1 and step 3 was a booster)

Yeah, that was the idea - step 1, 2 and then 3. I never did see a step 2 show up online or in any stores I looked at - although I only looked at the sears online and flyers, never the catalog. I haven't seen it listed on the CDN Graco website though either, so if it was available here, it wasn't for very long... when I first saw the ad for the 3 step system, I had wanted to get a step 2 for dd because of the recline without re-installing feature. Probably a good thing I never found it. :p

Hi thx for your reply (I have since registered so that I can respond). Sorry - but I am still a little confused. On the Graco Canada website, both the 'SafeSeat' and the 'SafeSeat 1' are listed. The "SafeSeat' seems to have a more lengthy description, which makes it seem it is the newer of the two.

This is for the SafeSeat™ Infant Car Seat Pattern G:
http://www.graco.net/e/item.asp?code=6672&s=0200CAA

This is for the SafeSeat™ Step 1 Car Seat - French Roast
http://www.graco.net/e/item.asp?code=8382&s=0200CAA

Why is one labeled Step 1, and the other is not, yet both are SafeSeat?

Just a labeling thing - they're both the exact same seat. (Although maybe the G one has the extra gracopedic foam, I'm not sure about that? It's a comfort thing though, not a safety thing.)

My guess would be the web designers just didn't put step 1. I'm not sure for sure, but it's the same seat anyways. If you look at the pdf manual they both should say safe seat step 1. :thumbsup:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
They are both the identical same seat. The differences is pattern and extra cushioning on the G Collection.

The G Collection does not have the gracopedic foam... it is more cushy than the french roast and comes with the better infant support. It also comes with the cold weather boot.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC