Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Graco Differences - Canadian 'SafeSeat' & 'SafeSeat Step 1'

Hi:

Could someone help me figure out the differences between the Graco (Canada) "SafeSeat", and the "SafeSeat Step 1"? I have seen references to both on this website and sometimes I am unable to tell which one the poster is actually referring to. Is one of these generally considered 'better' than the other? If not 'better', are there advantages/disadvantages? On the Graco Canada Website it seems that the 'SafeSeat' is the newer version of the two, but I am not sure? Thank-you for your help.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

Re: Graco Differences - Canadian 'SafeSeat' & 'SafeSeat Step 1'

Canada doesn't have a Safeseat 2 like the US does, so many of us forget to add the Safeseat 1 on to the name because the safeseat is only an infant carrier here & couldn't be mixed up with the ff'ing seat available in the US. The box in Canada does say Safe Seat step 1 just like the US though.

Neither is better than the other, and they're probably the identical seat. The FMVSS 213 one is only legal for use in the US, and the CMVSS 213 one is only legal for use in Canada. You have to use a seat that bears the national safety mark of whichever country you live in.

So when we're discussing them, they're the same seat. Technically they have the same name in both countries, us Canucks just tend to drop the 1 off the name sometimes. But you have to buy your seat in whatever country you live in & use one with the appropriate stickers.

eta: The SS1 is the newest carrier from Graco. The other carriers you'd be seeing online from Graco are snugrides. Personally, I think the SS1 is the better deal - you get more use from it because of the higher weight and length limits, and you can get it on sale for close to the same price as you'd pay for an up front adjusting snugride. Having used both, I much prefer the SS1 over the snugride, but it all depends on what you're looking for. My ds outgrew the snugride before he was 6mos old, he has about 3/4" or growing room left in his SS1 although we moved him to the Radian about 6wks ago.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird25ca View Post
    Canada doesn't have a Safeseat 2 like the US does, so many of us forget to add the Safeseat 1 on to the name because the safeseat is only an infant carrier here & couldn't be mixed up with the ff'ing seat available in the US. The box in Canada does say Safe Seat step 1 just like the US though.
    Really?? Sears had carried the SS2 in one of their catelogues, I think last year selling it for $199.

I thought that Graco was going to be using the step system to help "not" confuse people and to know what was an appropriate step to be at (ie. SS1, SS1 and step 3 was a booster)

Hi thx for your reply (I have since registered so that I can respond). Sorry - but I am still a little confused. On the Graco Canada website, both the 'SafeSeat' and the 'SafeSeat 1' are listed. The "SafeSeat' seems to have a more lengthy description, which makes it seem it is the newer of the two.

This is for the SafeSeat™ Infant Car Seat Pattern G:
    http://www.graco.net/e/item.asp?code=6672&s=0200CAA

This is for the SafeSeat™ Step 1 Car Seat - French Roast
    http://www.graco.net/e/item.asp?code=8382&s=0200CAA

Why is one labeled Step 1, and the other is not, yet both are SafeSeat?

Thanks again.

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Really?? Sears had carried the SS2 in one of their catelogues, I think last year selling it for $199.

I thought that Graco was going to be using the step system to help "not" confuse people and to know what was an appropriate step to be at (ie. SS1, SS1 and step 3 was a booster)
    Yeah, that was the idea - step 1, 2 and then 3. I never did see a step 2 show up online or in any stores I looked at - although I only looked at the sears online and flyers, never the catalog. I haven't seen it listed on the CDN Graco website though either, so if it was available here, it wasn't for very long... when I first saw the ad for the 3 step system, I had wanted to get a step 2 for dd because of the recline without re-installing feature. Probably a good thing I never found it.

Quote Originally Posted by tel_76 View Post
    Hi thx for your reply (I have since registered so that I can respond). Sorry - but I am still a little confused. On the Graco Canada website, both the 'SafeSeat' and the 'SafeSeat 1' are listed. The "SafeSeat' seems to have a more lengthy description, which makes it seem it is the newer of the two.

This is for the SafeSeat™ Infant Car Seat Pattern G:
    http://www.graco.net/e/item.asp?code=6672&s=0200CAA

This is for the SafeSeat™ Step 1 Car Seat - French Roast
    http://www.graco.net/e/item.asp?code=8382&s=0200CAA

Why is one labeled Step 1, and the other is not, yet both are SafeSeat?
    Just a labeling thing - they're both the exact same seat. (Although maybe the G one has the extra gracopedic foam, I'm not sure about that? It's a comfort thing though, not a safety thing.)

My guess would be the web designers just didn't put step 1. I'm not sure for sure, but it's the same seat anyways. If you look at the pdf manual they both should say safe seat step 1.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

Thanks for the help!

They are both the identical same seat. The differences is pattern and extra cushioning on the G Collection.

The G Collection does not have the gracopedic foam... it is more cushy than the french roast and comes with the better infant support. It also comes with the cold weather boot.
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS1 /02, Seatbelt in the driver's seat now!
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

DS3 /12, Britax Frontier/Parkway SG
    DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC