Foonf vs Advocate?

Bonita

Okay, I think we decided that we are interested in going with either the Foonf or the Advocate...But I cannot decide :-/

Some info:
LO just recently turned 5 months (we probably won't start using the seat until she's 6 or 7 months), at her 4 month appointment she was 15lbs. even and about 24" tall.

I drive a 2012 GMC Terrain, and the husband drives a 2009 Pontiac G8. I think one of my concerns is with the seats in my husband's car. The back seat seems a bit different than my car, and other cars, with where the latch is in relation to the seat...Here is a pic that shows the seat:

2ywirls.jpg

I'm interested in the Foonf for the higher RF weight limits and the fact that it seems pretty narrow since my backseat isn't that large...I'm concerned it might not install well in my husband's car though with the way the latch system looks to be set up. Unfortunately I don't think there is a retailer anywhere near us that carries the Foonf or the Fllo to try before we buy :(

Curious to hear what people think about the Foonf vs Advocate on longevity, ease of installation, and experience with either :)

Last edited:
ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Do you mean the advocate ClickTight? Or the regular G4?

The ClickTight is the longest lasting by height. While the Foonf has more weight, even though she's on a higher weight than height curve, if she stays on her current curve, she wouldn't hit 40 lbs until she was about 4, and would definitely still fit by height in a ClickTight convertible. On the other hand she wouldn't outgrow a Foonf rear facing until 6 by weight, but would have outgrown long ago by height. So for rear facing longevity a ClickTight convertible is a great bet for longevity. (If you mean the regular advocate, it's much shorter, as well as not quite as compact, and would not last as long by height. She'd likely outgrow height before weight.)

Install wise, ClickTight is a dream, but the other seats have good lockoffs too. There is no need to even bring LATCH into it if it causes trouble (which it likely would...) until dealing with a forward facing Foonf if you want benefit of REACT; that might be a good reason to choose the other if you want energy management, as SafeCell on the Britax seats works with either lower anchors or seatbelt, unlike REACT.

If you like the seat other than width for the Advocate, consider the Boulevard, which is the same, minus the SICT cushions. (Yes, they may be beneficial, but it is still a great seat- and if you install in the center spot as is recommended, side impacts are already a much lower risk concern.)

Bonita

Oh yes, we would be looking at the Advocate CT :)

For the differences in the Boulevard vs. Advocate with recline and harness positions - are these really a big deal...I'm mainly just confused why the advocate has so many more positions for these vs the boulevard?

Also is the fabric on the boulevard/advocate pretty good? I have heard people rave over the crypt on fabric on the Foonf, haven't heard much about the Britax...although our current B-Safe 35 is pretty good.

Also is the 18.5" width dimension for the Boulevard measuring to the outside of the shell? I assume manufacturers would be consistent with their measuring, but figured I'd ask just in case :). I'm mainly concerned about the width for my car since the 17.5" B-safe already leaves the back seat kind of cramped :-(
Posted via Mobile Device

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Advocate has more? If so I had not noticed- it really is, in person, just like a boulevard with SICT to me... (More than the Marathon, yes, they both do.)

I haven't reviewed Britax's measurements compared to the ones in our user-generated database so can't say how they compare. I usually look here or at carseatblog for measurements. They tend to be more reliable for real world use and in depth. I can tell you that rear facing, the widest part doesn't really intrude in the passenger space, but the Boulevard definitely does have a space advantage without the SICT.

Here's the carseatblog review if you hadn't seen it: http://carseatblog.com/30080/britax...nvertible-review-sometimes-things-just-click/

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The recline on all the ClickTights is infinite, really. As long as the indicator is within the range (which is quite wide), anything goes. Britax has even said it's ok for the seat to be so uptight that it doesn't even "register" on the indicator as long as it's comfortable for the kid.

Bonita

The Advocate has more? If so I had not noticed- it really is, in person, just like a boulevard with SICT to me... (More than the Marathon, yes, they both do.)

You're right! I "compared" these on Amazon and it showed they were different. After I saw your post, I thought maybe I shouldn't believe Amazon and when I compared on Britax, sure enough they are the same.

I really should know better by now about comparing things/looking at specs and details on Amazon, ha ha :)

Okay...Off to finish reading the boulevard review since I haven't looked at that one :)

Cnidaria

Yep, the Clicktight Boulevard and Clicktight Advocate are completely identical except for the extra side cushions on the Advocate.

Have you had a chance to try installing them in your car? We're looking for a new convertible seat as well (with slightly different things we're focusing on than you are), and our favorite seat after a trip to just play with them in the store was *completely* different than after a session of actually trying them in the car and trying the kiddo in them.

I wrote about the different seats we're considering (including the Clicktight Boulevard and Fllo), if you're interested. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=277209 . But my main point is that with *you* trying out the same seats in *your* car, you might have entirely different opinions.

Bonita

Have you had a chance to try installing them in your car? We're looking for a new convertible seat as well (with slightly different things we're focusing on than you are), and our favorite seat after a trip to just play with them in the store was *completely* different than after a session of actually trying them in the car and trying the kiddo in them.

I wrote about the different seats we're considering (including the Clicktight Boulevard and Fllo), if you're interested. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=277209 . But my main point is that with *you* trying out the same seats in *your* car, you might have entirely different opinions.

Interesting! So it sounds like you liked the Fllo pretty well after all.

We haven't tested either seat in our car(s) yet at this point. We can definitely test fit the Clicktight Boulevard anytime as they have those in stock in our area, but unfortunately the only place that carries the Clek near us is 90 miles away. :(

We'll definitely have to make a day trip to go do the test fit for the Clek. Not a huge deal, but kind of a bummer since we'd want to only drive one car up there instead of both...I'm thinking we may just take my husband's car which seems like it would be the tougher installation overall.

I'm also thinking maybe that the Fllo would be a better option for us since the REACT won't work without the latch installation. We most likely wouldn't be able to do the latch installation in the middle seat, and that's where we'd like to keep her as long as possible (until baby #2 comes along eventually).

jwilliams

Your husband's car really doesn't look too bad. I would stay away from the Diono seats, because the bight is a bit funky, but the LATCH looks accessible and the belts/buckles look very reasonable (no overlap or floppy belt stalks). The seat back looks nice and flat too. I think either of the seats you are interested in would install nicely, though you might end up needing to put the Clek in the middle when RF so the front occupants are comfortable.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC