Subaru Outback, Mazda CX 5, Hyundai Sante Fe and Kia Sorento

aporthole

The Rav4 outright prohibits 3 humans in the back seat at any given time. It is a 4 seater vehicle with 5 possible seating positions.

With the Sorento and Santa Fe, neither outright prohibit 3 across or side by side with adults or car seats, but the car seat manufacturers DO prohibt the install of car seats or booster use when there are overlapping seat belts or lowe anchor straps. 2 car seats or boosters outboard with a non-boostered pre-teen/teen/adult is still not kosher as there would still be overlap.

ADS

aporthole

The Forester does not have any overlap but is quite narrow width wise and front to back.

The Honda CR-V does not have any overlap and is definitely workable for 3 across.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Right- if either owner's manual specifically prohibits an installation for overlapping seatbelt or LATCH or any reason, then obviously you can't do it. Otherwise, it's a case by case basis.

aporthole

Right- if either owner's manual specifically prohibits an installation for overlapping seatbelt or LATCH or any reason, then obviously you can't do it. Otherwise, it's a case by case basis.

My understanding is that when car seats and boosters are involved, the MACPS statement regarding 3 across outright prohibits the use of overlapping seat belts or lower anchor straps. This would take precedent regardless whether there is any formal prohibition or not from the vehicle. When the vehicle does not address it, 5 steppers/teens/adults are fine for 3 across but car seats/boosters are still bound to the MACPS guidelines.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
My understanding is that when car seats and boosters are involved, the MACPS statement regarding 3 across outright prohibits the use of overlapping seat belts or lower anchor straps. This would take precedent regardless whether there is any formal prohibition or not from the vehicle. When the vehicle does not address it, 5 steppers/teens/adults are fine for 3 across but car seats/boosters are still bound to the MACPS guidelines.

MACPS recommendations are guidance for techncians, like those from the CPS Board, SafeRideNews (LATCH Manual), the AAP or any other third party. If no similar statement is included in either owner's manual, there is no reasonable expectation parents or even most techs are aware of any or all of these guidelines from other agencies. So, certainly very good advice, but not a rule that MUST be followed if it is not also in an owner's manual.

steph

Okay so if what I'm understanding is correct, there is no way to do 3 across in a Sante Fe/Sorento as long as one or more of the seats is occupied by a car seat or booster? So the only way 3 across is allowed, is 3 seat-belted adults/pre-teens (ie no car seats)?

Because if that is so it makes our list shorter (pretty much the Outback/CX-5/Rogue).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Okay so if what I'm understanding is correct, there is no way to do 3 across in a Sante Fe/Sorento as long as one or more of the seats is occupied by a car seat or booster? So the only way 3 across is allowed, is 3 seat-belted adults/pre-teens (ie no car seats)?

Because if that is so it makes our list shorter (pretty much the Outback/CX-5/Rogue).

I don't recall anything outright prohibiting 3-across in the new Santa Fe, but I may have missed it. Check your carseat manuals to see if any of them prohibit it, but most do not have such wording.

You might also see if you can find an online owner's manual or make sure there is one available when you test drive to make sure!

SavsMom

On a side note -
My parents have a 15 Outback and just leased a 15 Crosstrek. The Crosstrek is quite a bit smaller than the Outback. It's still nice but you do lose cargo and rear passenger space.

steph

Get an Outback - you won't regret it ;)

Haha! I have a feeling that's what we will end up with. But I'd like to test drive the CX-5 and Rogue just to be sure (and maybe the Sante Fe once I read the manual).

SavsMom

Yeah we really need/want the cargo space.

I won't rule out getting the mid trim level with eyesight. We are hoping to do the same thing we did with the Elantra and buy the 2015 model when they clearance them (once the 2016's come out). So maybe we could get a good deal on one with eyesight.

Don't count on getting one on clearance - they are in short supply everywhere. Some trim levels in my local area are a 6-8 week wait. When my parents picked up theirs a few months ago - the dealer had 4 back up orders if they didn't take it. Of course this varies by location.

The resale value is HUGE on the Outback as well. Mine is 3 years old and still holds a book of $20k+ (it was $25k new).

steph

Don't count on getting one on clearance - they are in short supply everywhere. Some trim levels in my local area are a 6-8 week wait. When my parents picked up theirs a few months ago - the dealer had 4 back up orders if they didn't take it. Of course this varies by location.

The resale value is HUGE on the Outback as well. Mine is 3 years old and still holds a book of $20k+ (it was $25k new).

Yeah I know the chances of getting a deal as good as the Hyundai are slim but still hoping for some discount! I think the one sales guy said the 2016's come out in the next few months.

steph

Alright Subaru Outback is our winner!! Probably going to buy towards June/July but at least we know what we want.

The Mazda CX-5 was super fun to drive (performance was good, etc) but the interior is small and the backseat wasn't very comfortable (didn't recline, etc). Plus it had some blind spots.

The Rogue was actually very roomy and had some nice features on the base model (like a rear view camera) but the performance wasn't as great (definitely seemed to lag some when driving). Overall though it did offer a lot of what we wanted space wise.

But the Outback had it all; performance, space and looks. Excited to have a decision made!!

Last edited:

SavsMom

Alright Subaru Outback is our winner!! Probably going to buy towards June/July but at least we know what we want.

The Mazda CX-5 was super fun to drive (performance was good, etc) but the interior is small and the backseat wasn't very comfortable (didn't recline, etc). Plus it had some blind spots.

The Rogue was actually very roomy and had some nice features on the base model (like a rear view camera) but the performance wasn't as great (definitely seemed to lag some when driving). Overall though it did offer a lot of what we wanted space wise.

But the Outback had it all; performance, space and looks. Excited to have a decision made!!

Good choice! You won't be disappointed :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC