Subaru Outback, Mazda CX 5, Hyundai Sante Fe and Kia Sorento

steph

So in the next 6 months or so we are looking to replace my 2007 Honda Pilot.

We are really thinking of downsizing to a 5 passenger SUV/CUV. I hardly ever use the 3rd row in my Pilot and we really want something with better gas mileage.

My only hesitation to getting a smaller SUV is fitting 3 across in the backseat. DS is out of a booster, so at most I would only have 1 car seat in the back (if I had another baby). However, I would like to be able to sit 2 people (2 kids or 1 kid/1 adult) plus a car seat in the backseat.

So any pros/cons to the Subaru Outback or Mazda CX5? The Hyundai Sante Fe and Kia Sorento are on the list as well but those are bigger SUV's with not as good gas mileage so they aren't at the top of our lists.

We did test drive the Subaru and it was really nice. It's just at the top of our budget so not sure if we can justify it.

TIA!!!

ADS

SavsMom

The CX5 is going to be much smaller than the others. I really liked the CX5 but it felt cramped.

Having said that - all are good choices but overall I'm a big fan of Subarus. Good safety ratings, great features, excellent reliability and amazing resale value.

I have a 2012 Outback and love love love it.

steph

Thanks!

I know the CX5 will be smaller but we really want to downsize so I was hoping it would be a happy medium. Hopefully we will get a chance to check it out soon in person.

How's the repairs/maintenance costs on the Subaru? I know very little about them and I was concerned it might be more pricey to fix if something were to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ali

DH has a CX-5 and his trim model has the 40-20-40 split back seat. The middle seat is basically useless because it's about 11 inches wide. If you have someone really skinny it may work, but we haven't been able to put anyone there in a harnessed seat or booster. I know other trim models have different configurations, so just keep an eye out for that.

steph

DH has a CX-5 and his trim model has the 40-20-40 split back seat. The middle seat is basically useless because it's about 11 inches wide. If you have someone really skinny it may work, but we haven't been able to put anyone there in a harnessed seat or booster. I know other trim models have different configurations, so just keep an eye out for that.

Would you be able to have a car seat out board and two people next to it? If I have a car seat it will go outboard but I want to be able to have two kids (who don't need car seats or boosters) or a kid and adult back there too (like me son and my mom).

Do you like it otherwise?

SavsMom

Thanks! I know the CX5 will be smaller but we really want to downsize so I was hoping it would be a happy medium. Hopefully we will get a chance to check it out soon in person. How's the repairs/maintenance costs on the Subaru? I know very little about them and I was concerned it might be more pricey to fix if something were to happen. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maintenance on the Subaru is average - there is nothing special or spendy about it, it's similar to maintenance on a Honda or Toyota.
In terms of repairs - they are very reliable. Again repairs will be on par with a Honda or Toyota.

I will say that people freak out about the awd system being more in terms of costly repairs in the future and this is where Subaru really shines as their awd system is less intricate but actually works better than those found in other brands. So it's a win-win.

steph

Maintenance on the Subaru is average - there is nothing special or spendy about it, it's similar to maintenance on a Honda or Toyota.
In terms of repairs - they are very reliable. Again repairs will be on par with a Honda or Toyota.

I will say that people freak out about the awd system being more in terms of costly repairs in the future and this is where Subaru really shines as their awd system is less intricate but actually works better than those found in other brands. So it's a win-win.

Thanks!

I had read the AWD system is better than other manufacturers and not as costly to upkeep.

I think we just added the Nissan Rogue to the mix as well. It's a bit bigger than the CX5 but same gas mileage.

aporthole

Santa Fe and Sorento both have center/driver side seat belt overlap.

The Outback is really tough for 3 across, possible but not easy and slim seats all around are needed.

I've heard the Rogue can be a pain in the rear and has some incompatibilites with certain seats. I don't have firsthand experience with that one and the details are fuzzy on which seats were problematic.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
We never had an issue with repairs on our AWD system, it was engine seals that went first! Maintenance was easy enough that I did it myself during an oil change. The interval isn't as often, though, maybe once every few years you have to change the differential fluid front and rear. I'm guessing the new ones are similar and if I can do it, anyone can lol.

I think the Outback will be more carseat friendly than the other small SUVs you mention, and has unmatched safety anywhere close to its price if you add the inexpensive EyeSight package.

If price is no object, go with the new Highlander Hybrid. Very safe and fuel efficient: and roomier than the others :) It's as big as the Pilot now, so not really downsizing, though.

steph

Santa Fe and Sorento both have center/driver side seat belt overlap.

The Outback is really tough for 3 across, possible but not easy and slim seats all around are needed.

I've heard the Rogue can be a pain in the rear and has some incompatibilites with certain seats. I don't have firsthand experience with that one and the details are fuzzy on which seats were problematic.

What do you mean by center/driver overlap?

We wouldn't need 3 car seats across, more plausible is one car seat, two other people in seatbelts. But right now it's only DS and he is out of a booster.

We never had an issue with repairs on our AWD system, it was engine seals that went first! Maintenance was easy enough that I did it myself during an oil change. The interval isn't as often, though, maybe once every few years you have to change the differential fluid front and rear. I'm guessing the new ones are similar and if I can do it, anyone can lol.

I think the Outback will be more carseat friendly than the other small SUVs you mention, and has unmatched safety anywhere close to its price if you add the inexpensive EyeSight package.

If price is no object, go with the new Highlander Hybrid. Very safe and fuel efficient: and roomier than the others :) It's as big as the Pilot now, so not really downsizing, though.

So you have to get eyesight for safety? It doesn't change the structure of the car....just the ability to sense things? We are more than likely looking at the base model package....we need to keep it under $25k.

To be honest the Outback is DH first choice and I'm almost there (I love the way it drives but it still has more of a wagon look).

Our biggest thing is gas though (well safety first, gas mileage second). The Outback/Rogue/CX5 all have a savings of almost $100 on a month compared to my Pilot. The Sante Fe is about $60, so better but not as good.

Right now we drive the Elantra anywhere long distance but 1) I don't want to continue to put tons of miles on that and 2) it is fine for 2 people and a kid but we want more cargo space for when we travel or do activities like snowboard/surf.

autumnlily

We have a 2015 Subaru Outback and it is much roomier then the last model. We have three booster seat riders and it's been very easy to find combo's that work. I'm very experienced with 3 across fittings and the 2015 model is definitely a fair contender for it's vehicle class.

I'm in love with it!

We took a few boosters and our kids and went to an auto mall (a strip mall of sorts with dealership after dealership) and tried different cars out. Walked from lot to lot. First, it was awesome because there were few sales folks who wanted to approach us for long and second... it was a fast way to be in and out so that we could go home and think about it. This helped us narrow down our two top picks and then research prices/packages/dealers.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
So you have to get eyesight for safety? It doesn't change the structure of the car....just the ability to sense things? We are more than likely looking at the base model package....we need to keep it under $25k.

Correct, same great crash test results with or without Eyesight.

Eyesight is arguably the best active safety feature package available today, from any manufacturer including luxury makes. And unlike luxury makes and almost every other model sold today, you can get all those features as a single separate options package on a mid level trim (Premium) for a very reasonable price of $1700 MSRP on the Outback. Unfortunately the MSRP will be about $30K for a Premium with EyeSight, probably a few thousand less after negotiating.

If you didn't need the cargo space, the Legacy is just as roomy in the 2nd row and a much better bargain for essentially the same car in sedan form rather than a wagon.

Other companies charge thousands more, and make it available only on the highest trim level with every option bundled, effectively adding up to $10K or even more to the price tag on some models:-(

steph

Yeah we really need/want the cargo space.

I won't rule out getting the mid trim level with eyesight. We are hoping to do the same thing we did with the Elantra and buy the 2015 model when they clearance them (once the 2016's come out). So maybe we could get a good deal on one with eyesight.

steph

What about the Subaru Crosstrek? I'm guessing the cargo space is quite a bit smaller?

***We had planned on going to a few dealers Friday but DS got sick. So hopefully we will be able to go this coming week.

Ali

Would you be able to have a car seat out board and two people next to it? If I have a car seat it will go outboard but I want to be able to have two kids (who don't need car seats or boosters) or a kid and adult back there too (like me son and my mom).

Do you like it otherwise?

With the trim package (I honestly don't know which one it is and he's not home at the moment) only a very skinny person would fit in the middle seat. Plus the seatbelt comes from the ceiling and there's a weird double buckle on it. I will see if I can find pictures of it.

DH likes the CX-5 and now that I upgraded to the Mazda 5 from a Mazda 3 it's much easier to take extra kids places without having to juggle seats.

ETA: I guess I shouldn't have assumed he took his car. It is here. He took my car.
d9d05b3a9e19e89fc246cc40a6158e89.jpg
ffb02d4958ddb45b9237c907307c54fb.jpg

It's 11 inches from buckle to buckle but has that weird extra plastic piece.

And please excuse the mess!

aporthole

With the Santa Fe and Sorento the center seat belt anchors to a point that overlaps with the driver side seat's buckle. This prevents you from being able to do a 3 across install or even side by side in those 2 positions as car seats and boosters cannot be installed where seat belts overlap.

The CrossTrek is the same interior dimensions as the smaller Impreza. Not easy for 3 across and very tight front to back.

steph

So basically with the Sante Fe or Sorento (or Rav 4), it's two car seats outboard and a person can sit center?

My biggest concern is being able to fit 2 older kids (no car seats/boosters) or a older kid and small adult plus a car seat in the backseat. Sounds like that won't be an issue though, just doing 3 car seat/boosters across.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Keep in mind that seatbelt overlap isn't always prohibitive of a 3-across, but often creates enough problems that prevent it or at least make it very difficult. If you are considering a vehicle like Rav4, for example, you'd really want to bring seats to try because some of these models are nearly impossible for 3-across.

For smaller SUVs like CX-5, also consider the Forester. But like all small SUVs, it will have the same difficulties with 3-across.

steph

Keep in mind that seatbelt overlap isn't always prohibitive of a 3-across, but often creates enough problems that prevent it or at least make it very difficult. If you are considering a vehicle like Rav4, for example, you'd really want to bring seats to try because some of these models are nearly impossible for 3-across.

For smaller SUVs like CX-5, also consider the Forester. But like all small SUVs, it will have the same difficulties with 3-across.

We did look at the Forester and we weren't overly impressed.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC